Executive Vice President
As Senior Vice President for Climate and Energy at Environmental Defense Fund, Gwen Ruta draws on three decades of management experience to oversee EDF’s scientists, attorneys, economists and policy analysts working to fight climate change. Under Gwen’s leadership EDF’s Climate and Energy Program focuses on the largest opportunities to turn the corner toward a stable climate, including:
- Harnessing the potential of a 21st century energy system and helping to rewrite outdated utility regulations.
- Using the Clean Air Act to protect Americans from climate and air pollution.
- Reducing the climate and health risks of oil and natural gas development in the U.S. and abroad.
- Utilizing the power of the market to align national and international priorities with carbon reductions.
Gwen joined EDF in 2000, and is a member of EDF’s executive team.
Most recently Gwen served as VP of Programs where she focused on management and strategy for EDF’s wide range of policy work. Earlier, as VP of Corporate Partnerships, Gwen oversaw a team that spurred innovation and transformation in market sectors from shipping to retail to fleets.
Prior to joining Environmental Defense Fund, Gwen was Vice President at Metcalf & Eddy, an international environmental engineering firm. She has also held senior management positions at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and Harvard University’s John F. Kennedy School of Government.
Gwen is on the Board of Directors of the Environmental League of Massachusetts and has been named one of the 100 Most Influential People in Finance by Treasury and Risk magazine.
- M.P.A., Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government
- B.S., Chemical Engineering, University of Virginia