Millie Chu Baird
Senior Director, Office of the Chief Scientist
Areas of expertise: Climate change, geoengineering
Millie Chu Baird is the Senior Director for the Office of Chief Scientist. She acts as the hub for the Office, designing and directing processes to help maximize the Office's operational efficiency. Millie also directs EDF's partnership with Google Earth Outreach, mapping methane leaks in local distribution systems and EDF’s emerging work on air pollutant mapping.
During her tenure at Environmental Defense Fund, Millie has managed numerous relationships with corporations as well as legislative climate campaigns. She also
- started and managed the Climate Corps program;
- directed EDF’s work in geoengineering;
- staffed a partnership of energy and aluminum companies centered around strategically managing and reducing GHG emissions;
- advised several companies on their GHG management programs, including internal cap-and-trade programs and producing and purchasing offsets;
- led the development and implementation of partnerships with food service and quick-serve companies to drive improvements in animal agriculture management practices; and
- managed legislative climate campaigns in NJ and Connecticut and helped to implement the Northeast’s Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative (RGGI).
Prior to joining Environmental Defense Fund, Millie was a management consultant, advising corporations on environmental management. She also served as Director of Business Development for Verde Media, an environmental media start-up.
Millie received a Master’s of Science in Earth Systems Economics from Stanford University and a Bachelors of Science in Earth Systems also from Stanford University. She wrote her honors thesis on the motivations of corporations to go beyond compliance to embark on proactive environmental initiatives.