Michael Panfil is the Senior Director and Lead Counsel of Climate Risk & Clean Power at Environmental Defense Fund, where he works to advance the development and implementation of efforts designed to reduce climate-destabilizing emissions. Michael engages before energy, environmental, and financial regulators as well as before federal courts across the country to secure durable solutions and sustainable practices.
In addition to his work with EDF, Michael serves as Scholar in Residence at American University, Washington College of Law and as Adjunct Professor at Howard University, School of Law. He is also a vice chair of the Climate Change, Sustainable Development, and Ecosystems Committee of the American Bar Association’s Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources and a Board Member for the Energy Justice Law & Policy Center.
Prior to joining EDF, Michael spent time with the White House, Council on Environmental Quality and United Nations. He received his BA from the College of Wooster and JD from Columbia Law School.
Selected publications include:
- Resilience and Private Law’s Duty to Adapt, North Carolina Law Review (Forthcoming 2022) (with Jim Rossi).
- Disclosure of Climate-Related Financial Risk, N.Y.U. J. Legis. & Pub. Pol’y (Forthcoming 2021) (with Madison Condon, Sarah Ladin, Jack Lienke, and Alex Song).
- Risk in the Electricity Sector: Legal Obligations to Advance Climate Resilience Planning by Electric Utilities, Environmental Law Review (2021) (with Romany Webb and Sarah Ladin).
- Attleboro to EPSA: The Pace of Change and Evolving Jurisdictional Frameworks in the Electricity Sector, UCLA J. Envtl. law & Policy, 38(1) (2020).
- Wholesale Electricity Market Principles, 9 Mich. J. Envtl. & Admin. L. 145 (2020) (with Rama Zakaria).
- Initiative on Climate Risk and Resilience Law, April 4, 2022
- Climate 411 Blog, March 30, 2022
Power companies, businesses, and experts support EPA authority to address climate pollution at Supreme CourtClimate 411 Blog, February 18, 2022
- EDF, February 15, 2022
- Climate 411 Blog, December 16, 2021
- Climate411, November 9, 2021
Washington and Wall Street must act now to protect Americans’ financial futures from unfolding climate change harmsEDF Climate 411, October 25, 2021
- Climate 411 Blog, June 28, 2021
- October 7, 2023
- April 5, 2023
- March 8, 2023
- February 17, 2023
EDF, Sierra Club Sue Environmental Protection Agency to Protect People from Gas-Burning Power Plant PollutionDecember 8, 2022
- November 10, 2022
EDF, Sierra Club Plan to Sue the Environmental Protection Agency to Protect People from Pollution Discharged by New Gas-Burning Power PlantsSeptember 30, 2022
EDF “Strongly Supports” Proposal to Strengthen Cross-State Air Pollution Rule, Protect Millions from Smog-Forming Coal-Plant Smokestack PollutionJune 22, 2022