With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 630 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF is dedicated to protecting people’s rights to clean air and water, healthy and nourishing food, and flourishing ecosystems. Guided by science, EDF evaluates environmental problems and forges innovative solutions that win lasting political, economic, and social support because they are nonpartisan, cost-efficient, and fair.
In Houston, EDF has a robust air quality campaign, working with several partners to address the region’s persistent problem with dirty air. EDF’s work encompasses deployment and implementation of projects to reduce air pollution, advocacy on state and federal rulemakings, and identification of opportunities to reduce air pollution in ways that resonate with impacted communities.
The Senior Specialist, Communications, is a vital member of the Climate and Health team, primarily supporting external opportunities related to EDF’s air quality work in Houston. Core responsibilities include conducting media and events research, coordinating project timelines, and helping to execute on marketing communications plans. He/she will also draft and edit promotional and digital content for a variety of owned and earned channels. In this role, you will be part of a tight-knit team, reporting to the manager of EDF’s Houston Air Quality Media Initiative while working closely with colleagues in the climate and health programs, EDF+Biz, and the Houston-based One Breath Partnership, which coalition of NGO and academic partners.
Support implementation of marketing communications plans and report out on results
- Draft media pitches, reporter backgrounders, press releases, letters to the editor, social media content, etc.
- Pitch stories to reporters and develop media relationships at industry trade publications
- Prepare media briefing documents for program experts in advance of interviews
- Profile top-tier media publications to explore relevant and/or new venues to pursue
- Conduct periodic media audits for emerging topics of interest to business audiences
- Increase engagement of local communities and strategic audiences in advocacy efforts supporting public health goals related to air quality
- Assist in coordinating discrete and complementary strategic communications projects with one or more members of One Breath Partnership, ensuring alignment with overall coalition goals
- Identify all opportunities for reaching target audiences with existing content
- Participate in planning and idea generation to help optimize our digital efforts
- Remain up-to-speed on best practices and digital tools available for reaching target audiences and expanding audience engagement
- Identify ways to update existing content for new distribution or audiences
- Help curate a library of human interest stories from those affected by Houston’s air pollution
- At least four years of work experience in public relations, marketing, journalism, or communications
- Comfortable with both creative and analytical approaches to work
- Excellent attention to detail and strong organization skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including writing media pitches to expand the reach of our work and copy that is optimized for social media and digital ads
- Ability to plan, prioritize, and organize a varied workload, while adjusting to periodic changes to account for new opportunities
- Excels in work both as an independent contributor and as a collaborator who is part of a team in a fast-paced, dynamic, and entrepreneurial environment
- Proactive self-starter with a strong ability to anticipate logistical needs, quickly resolve issues or conflicts, and to think ahead to meet the needs of staff for successful results
- Strong research skills
- Ability to oversee, coordinate, and execute projects with a high level of accuracy
- Interest in the non-profit sector, environmental issues, and media communications preferred
- Multilingual is a plus
Houston, Texas, with periodic travel to Austin, Texas
Full-time (35 hours/week)
Interested applicants should attach their cover letter, writing sample, and resume to the application.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply