Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 850 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Open to permament remote, but a strong preference for candidates based out of Boulder, CO and Washington D.C.
The Senior Attorney, Clean Transportation will develop and implement strategies on complex legal and policies matters to reduce climate and health harming pollution and to enhance equity, with a focus on pollution from the transportation sector. As a part of the Legal and Regulatory team, the Senior Attorney will work with a cohort of EDF attorneys, legal fellows, interns, and other experts, to support, advance and defend clean car and truck standards. This work includes recently finalized EPA standards for model year 2023 to 2026 vehicles, longer-term standards for passenger vehicles, and multi-pollutant standards for medium- and heavy-duty trucks. Additionally, the Senior Attorney will help support and defend state clean car authority and protective state clean car and truck standards. In carrying out this work, the Senior Attorney will work to enhance key team priorities, including DEIJ and environmental justice efforts, and help to develop and strengthen strategic partnerships with a wide range of stakeholders. The Senior Attorney will report to the Distinguished Counsel and Associate Vice President for Clean Air Strategies.
- Develop and implement strategies to secure and defend equitable policies to reduce climate and health-harming pollution from the transportation sector, including by preparing detailed comments and administrative filings in response to proposals.
- Represent EDF in litigation related to efforts to secure and defend protections to reduce climate and health-harming pollution, including leading the development of briefs, motions and other litigation documents and developing litigation strategy in complex cases.
- Strengthen progress on DEIJ and environmental justice through collaboration with external partners and support of team-wide goals.
- Advise, mentor, and assist in managing a team made up of attorneys, legal fellows, analysts, and external consultants.
- Support EDF’s engagement with external stakeholders to advance progress on key issues, including by engaging with the media to build support for policies among the general public and target audiences.
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Assisting development staff in fundraising efforts including drafting funding proposals for benefactors and foundations.
- Professionally representing EDF at various important internal and external events.
- Respond to emerging organizational priorities
- Additional relevant responsibilities as assigned.
- Professional law degree from a school of law accredited by the American Bar Association.
- Current member in good standing of the bar.
- At least 6+ years professional experience in the practice area and a history of achieving policy reforms through litigation, administrative advocacy, and/or legislative efforts.
- Demonstrated expertise in the Clean Air Act and administrative law preferred.
- Ability to represent EDF in litigation, before senior government officials, and in external partnerships.
- Experience and interest in managing and mentoring law students and early-career attorneys.
- Excellent legal research and analytical skills and ability to convey complex ideas in written and oral communication.
- Results-oriented self-starter with ability to work on fast-paced, deadline-driven, dynamic issues.
- Adept at adapting plans and strategies in response to new events and information.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 118,000 - 128,000 USD which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply