With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share the Core Values that allow us to experiment courageously in our work while staying true to who we’ve been as an organization for 50 years. Are you a results oriented individual who is passionate about creating environmental solutions that make a lasting difference in the world? Do you respect diverse perspectives, talents and contributions? Do you value innovation and enjoy designing and using a wide range of problem-solving tools? Do you embrace environmental goals with a sense of optimism while taking into account real-world dynamics? If you have integrity and a strong desire to uphold a commitment to science, rigorous analysis, intellectual honesty and ethical action, then EDF is the place for you.
The Member Services Associate (MSA) plays a vital and expanding role on the Membership Team in our effort to cultivate donor relationships and to raise revenue to support EDF’s program work.
Reporting to the Manager, Member Services, the MSA serves as the organization’s first point-of-contact for a diverse variety of issues, engagement opportunities and stewardship efforts. The MSA must have excellent interpersonal and communication skills. The ability to represent EDF in a professional and personable way with members is essential especially when problem-solving and fielding inquiries.
- Handle incoming telephone calls, letters and emails from members, activists and the general public with the utmost of care, attention and respect by addressing concerns, answering questions, and otherwise negotiating a mutually satisfactory resolution.
- Troubleshoot and resolve emerging issues as well as engaging with and delighting members by leveraging cultivation opportunities to establish rapport.
- Advocate for members by communication members’ questions and concerns to the Membership team at large to improve communications.
- Assist in developing a dynamic standard operating procedures manual to allow for seamless management of inbound communications and reporting.
- Preserve good working relationships with key internal and external contacts.
- Maintain integrity of our member database through regular updates of member records. Work with the team to identify and address gaps in the database systems that undermine proper membership treatments, as well as lead data hygiene projects.
- Oversee Tribute Gift receipting and acknowledgment to insure prompt and accurate correspondence.
- Strong writer and verbal communication skills.
- Complete additional projects as assigned.
- At least one year customer service experience, preferably in non-profit.
- Proficiency with standard business applications, such as MS Office, and familiarity with databases.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a fast-paced environment with changing business needs.
- Ability to oversee details of projects with high accuracy and while meeting critical deadlines.
- Ability to complete projects independently with limited oversight.
- Well-developed proofreading, writing and editing skills.Clear and understandable verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and a genuine desire to work with people.
- Experience and interest in environmental protection is highly desirable.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply