Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 850 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Our culture, values and commitment to diversity make EDF an exciting and meaningful place to work. Every job here makes a difference. Won’t you join us?
This position can be based out of New York City, Boston, Washington, D.C., Brussels, or London. While we support hybrid flexible work, you must have the right to live and work in the US/EU/UK when applying.
EDF+Business leverages the power of the market to create a more sustainable and equitable future – where companies, communities and the environment thrive. We develop and deploy global business and investor engagement strategies that accelerate environmental leadership, innovation, and results across carbon-intensive industries and supply chains. We’ve been at the forefront of driving change in business for 30 years, bringing cutting edge science, policy, and economic expertise to high-impact companies and sectors to transform business as usual in their products, operations, investments, and advocacy.
For more information on our work, visit business.edf.org.
This is the defining decade to transform “business as usual” for good. We can avert catastrophic climate change by advancing innovative, clean, prosperous business models and practices, supported by science-based climate and energy policy. To get there, EDF has developed an ambitious global strategy to capitalize on rising investor attention on climate risks, decarbonization opportunities, and future-facing global economic resiliency. Our vision is that by 2025, leading investors will be competing for climate leadership and using their influence and capital to accelerate the transition to a thriving, net zero future.
Reporting to the SVP, EDF+Business, this role provides the overall leadership, vision and strategy for the EDF+Business Sustainable Finance team. The Managing Director (MD) scans for changes and opportunities in the global financial and banking sectors, uses their network to understand points of leverage, builds approaches to address opportunities that advance EDF’s priorities, and collaborates across EDF to build science and data-based insights and strategies that drive change in the financial sector. The MD builds collaboration opportunities with think-tanks, academia, NGOs, and business to advance our goals. The role presents at events, speaks to media and is timely in social media commentary to drive impact and advance EDF’s brand.
The MD leads and manages the Sustainable Finance team, engages in fundraising efforts to advance the team’s work, represents the team in EDF Board engagements as needed, and measures and reports on impact globally and domestically. The role is also part of the EDF+Business leadership team, helping to oversee a diverse team of more than 50 professionals globally as well as to evolve and constantly sharpen our overall EDF+Business strategy.
The MD will be seen as a thought leader in the finance sector and a catalyst of powerful opportunities to stabilize the climate and advance towards a resilient and equitable global economy. They will prioritize and advance strategies that support a transition to clean energy, sustainable food, fisheries, and forests, and support the public health in our communities.
- Develops and leads the vision, strategy, and priorities for the Sustainable Finance team, including direction and oversight of the team’s analysis, engagement, and communications opportunities to accelerate positive change in the sustainable finance world that is durable and equitable.
- Regularly engages all levels of corporate finance sphere from executives to analysts at conferences and small settings, providing relevant, science-based information critical to decarbonizing their portfolios and advancing other strategic priorities. Engages sector-specific coalitions, mechanisms, protocols or instruments that can advance the sector in the direction of EDF goals.
- Builds relationships with high-impact companies, investors, banks, NGOs, business organizations, investor networks, and media.
- Maintains global view, horizon scanning for opportunities for innovation in the financial and investment sectors for sustainability, decarbonization and climate risk reduction.
- Works with EDF leaders in US, EU, India and China to develop and deploy sustainable finance and investor strategy in region. Works collaboratively with staff from across EDF to ensure the sustainable finance trategy incorporates strong science, economics, and environmental justice understanding and best practices.
- Raises awareness and amplifies EDF’s work with business and investors, through thought leadership, earned media, public speaking, and brand-level success stories.
- Lead a global team of approximately ten experienced professionals, including overseeing annual workplans, performance, team and individual development. Recruits, develops, and supervises senior staff and consultants as appropriate.
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Plays a leading role in communication with internal and external stakeholders to keep them apprised of progress, generating credibility for EDF work and enthusiasm for EDF+Business’ goals and accomplishments.
- Engages in program and EDF-wide fundraising, reporting coordinating with Development on trustee and donor stewardship and participating in donor events.
- Serves as part of the EDF+Business leadership team, shaping overall EDF+Business strategy, supporting EDF-wide strategy development and reporting, engagement with Executive Leadership and the EDF Board of Trustees, and helping oversee a team of approximately fifty professionals.
- Advanced degree with at least 15 years of relevant work experience in the financial sector with demonstrated success.
- Recognized thought leader with proven track record developing and implementing globally relevant, ambitious, innovative, and actionable strategies that drive impact.
- Deep understanding of the fundamentals of the investment and finance world, financial management, the financial marketplace, and public policy and regulatory landscape in the U.S., Europe, and globally.
- Experience working with IFC, World Bank or other global financial institutions a plus.
- Experience with climate change and corporate sustainability and their intersection with the financial services industry and capital markets, including familiarity with carbon accounting and reporting, as well as the related methodologies and initiatives/orgs (TCFD, SASB, PCAF, GHGP, NZBA/GFANZ, SBTi) and understanding of climate and financial regulatory bodies, in the U.S., Europe, and globally.
- Proven experience building and maintaining effective relationships with stakeholders, including media, other NGOs, and academic institutions.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to speak with large and small audiences, C-suite, and analysts to articulate compelling rationale for investors and banks to decarbonize and invest in a sustainable future and green economy.
- Experience with public speaking and working with the media.
- Experience as a manager of large teams, preferably in an organization or institution with national, regional, and/or international components.
- A collaborative leadership style, with demonstrated ability to empower and inspire staff and encourage professional development. Works well in complex, matrix organizations.
- Demonstrated ability to work constructively with a variety of diverse stakeholders representing different geographies. Demonstrated self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Fundraising experience with grant proposal development and engagement with donors.
- Experience as part of a leadership team, with responsibilities in supporting strategy and teams beyond your own.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 220,000 - 240,000 USD which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply