Areas of expertise: Agricultural emissions to land, water, and air from livestock, rice and upland crops; methane emissions from natural gas end use; and supply chain sustainability
Joe Rudek, Ph.D., works across a variety of arenas within EDF’s areas of focus. He works to measure and reduce GHG and nitrogen emissions from agriculture, especially low carbon rice farming, and livestock manure management. He is also the technical lead for EDF’s work on methane emissions from natural gas end use sectors such as electric generation, industrial use, urban neighborhoods and heavy duty trucks.
Joe also provides technical guidance to EDF’s efforts on sustainable supply chains for major retailers.
- PhD and MS, Environmental Biology, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
- BA, biology and chemistry, University of California-Santa Cruz
Appointments and affiliations
- Adjunct Associate Professor, Dept. of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, NC State University
- Science Advisory Committee for the Penn State Center for Integrated Multi-Scale Nutrient Pollution Solutions funded under EPA-STAR program for National Centers for Innovative and Sustainable Water Research, Incorporating a Systems View of Nutrient Management
- Co-chair of The Sustainability Consortium (TSC) Technical Advisory Group
- EPA Nutrient Challenge Technical Advisory Committee (Development of nitrogen and phosphorus water column nutrient sensor)
Primary author of:
- Kritee, K., D. Nair, R. Tiwari, J. Rudek, R. Ahuja, T. Adyha. T. Loecke, S. Hamburg, F. Tetaert, S. Reddy, O. Dava. 2015. Groundnut cultivation in semi-arid India for yield scaled nitrous oxide emission reduction. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems. 103: 115-129.
- Staunton, E., S. Bunk, G. Walters, S. Whalen, J. Rudek, M.D. Aitken. 2015. Coupling nitrogen removal and anaerobic digestion for energy recovery from swine waste. 1. Nitrification/denitrification. Environmental Engineering Science. 32: 741-749.
- Tiwari, R., K. Kritee, T.K. Tapan, T. Loecke, J. Rudek, N. Drishya, R. Ahuja, S, Balireddygari, S. Balakrishna, K. Ram, L.C. Venkataiah, O. Dava, M. Madasamy, A. Salai. 2015. Sampling Guidelines and analytical optimization from direct greenhouse gas emissions from tropical rice and upland cropping systems. Carbon Management. 6
- Rudek, J. and V.P. Aneja. 2013. Climate vulnerabilities of the swine industry. Climate Vulnerability: Understanding and Addressing Threats to Essential Resources. Elsevier Inc., Academic Press, 77-87 pp. ISBN: 9780123847034
- Rudek, J., and V.P. Aneja. 2011. Emission from Intensive Agriculture. EM: The Journal of the Air and Waste Management Association. July, 2011: 14-18.