(Washington, D.C. - Thursday, March 9) President Biden today proposed a fiscal 2024 budget that provides critical funding to help reduce pollution, protect our health, strengthen climate resilience, advance environmental justice and accelerate our transition to abundant and affordable clean energy.
“President Biden is building on the historic climate progress over the past year with a budget that would help to reduce pollution, improve our health, and develop and deploy affordable and reliable clean energy,” said Elizabeth Gore, senior vice president of political affairs at Environmental Defense Fund. “We need Congress to come together to keep us moving toward a clean energy future that benefits everyone.”
President Biden’s budget includes $52.2 billion to tackle the climate crisis, a 26 percent increase over the previous year. EDF applauds the numerous public health and climate wins in this budget, which include:
- Slashing energy bills for American families while also reducing emissions through efficiency and electrification.
- Creating jobs to build clean energy infrastructure in rural communities and cities, leaving no one behind.
- Advancing new tools to finance energy security and infrastructure projects and reduce reliance on volatile energy supplies and prices.
- Renewing American manufacturing to advance technology vehicle manufacturing projects from the Inflation Reduction Act.
- Ensuring Federal agencies will have the staff, expertise and resources needed to protect communities from toxic chemicals, advance equity and promote environmental, public health, and civil rights protections.
# # #
One of the world’s leading international nonprofit organizations, Environmental Defense Fund (edf.org) creates transformational solutions to the most serious environmental problems. To do so, EDF links science, economics, law, and innovative private-sector partnerships. With more than 3 million members and offices in the United States, China, Mexico, Indonesia and the European Union, EDF’s scientists, economists, attorneys and policy experts are working in 28 countries to turn our solutions into action. Connect with us on Twitter @EnvDefenseFund