COP15 Accord is Crucial Step to Stem Biodiversity Loss

EDF statement from Eric Schwaab, Senior Vice President for People and Nature and Qin Hu, Vice President EDF China

December 19, 2022
Tad Segal, (202) 907-8765,

(Montreal – Dec. 19, 2022) Against a backdrop of a global biodiversity crisis, delegates from more than 190 countries today agreed on a new set of goals to guide global action through 2030 to halt and reverse the loss of nature. The agreement was struck at the UN Biodiversity Conference, COP15, hosted by the governments of China and Canada in Montreal. The pact covers how countries will reach 23 targets aimed at halting biodiversity loss, preserving nature and ensuring resources are deployed equitably across countries to achieve these goals.  

“The agreement reached today in Montreal is a ringing endorsement of the urgent need to halt biodiversity loss, preserve nature, and put the planet on a path toward recovery from what will be a mass extinction of plants and animals if we fail to act. 

“The recommitment of the world’s leaders to the Convention on Biological Diversity is a milestone step toward ensuring the planet’s ability to thrive. At the same time, we cannot lose sight of the importance of tackling multiple crises at once, including the climate crisis, pollution, the need to transform our food systems and biodiversity. 

“EDF congratulates the governments of China, the presidency of COP15 and Canada, the co-host, on their commitment to reaching an agreement. We also recognize that there are still substantial hurdles to overcome, including equitable funding so that developing nations have the resources they need to ensure resilience and biodiversity in the face of mounting challenges. At EDF, we will continue to raise these issues and work with our partners, especially those in the Global South including Indigenous peoples and local communities, in support of the critical engagement of developing nations. 

“EDF is particularly encouraged by the commitment made at COP15 to preserve 30 percent of the world’s lands and oceans by the end of the decade, while also recognizing the increasing importance of managing the remaining 70 percent for sustainability. That will require a strong commitment by governments, civil society and business to act on the goals set forward in this historic pact and align these efforts with those to address climate change and drive sustainable development.   

“While the Kunming-Montreal agreement is a critically important step toward recognizing the growing biodiversity crisis, now comes the hard part. We must recommit ourselves toward taking concrete actions that preserve nature, ensure equitable use of natural resources and transform our food systems so that we can achieve a vital earth for everyone.” 

# # #

One of the world’s leading international nonprofit organizations, Environmental Defense Fund ( creates transformational solutions to the most serious environmental problems. To do so, EDF links science, economics, law, and innovative private-sector partnerships. With more than 3 million members and offices in the United States, China, Mexico, Indonesia and the European Union, EDF’s scientists, economists, attorneys and policy experts are working in 28 countries to turn our solutions into action. Connect with us on Twitter @EnvDefenseFund