New research shows that reducing methane emissions from oil and gas facilities helps clean the air and creates good, high-quality jobs.
Over 200 companies across the country are helping to manufacture the technology and provide the services needed to reduce harmful oil and gas pollution.
A new report from Datu Research offers an inside look at the methane mitigation industry - a rapidly expanding job market that helps the oil and gas industry reduce its carbon footprint.
Find Measure Fix: Jobs in the U.S. Methane Emissions Mitigation Industry found the industry offers well-paying employment opportunities across the country that cannot be offshored -- saving money, minimizing waste and keeping otherwise lost product in the pipe, while reducing harmful pollution.
Key research findings
- There are over 225 manufacturing and service companies with nearly 1000 employee locations across the country.
- The methane mitigation service sector in the U.S. has nearly doubled in size since 2017, and the manufacturing industry has grown by one third since 2014.
- The majority (65%) of these are small businesses with potential to grow larger with the expansion of national methane reduction efforts.
- 75% of manufacturing firms and 88% of service firms report that they would create more jobs if national methane standards were to be reinstated.
- The starting salary for methane mitigation jobs is nearly 10% higher than the national average salary, and they can pay up to $140,000 a year.
This is the third in a series of studies that has followed trends in this steadily growing job market.
- 2014: The Emerging U.S. Methane Mitigation Industry
- 2017: Find and Fix: Job Creation in the Emerging U.S. Methane Mitigation Industry
Where the jobs are
The interactive methane mitigation map plots the locations of these companies and their operations - visualizes the current landscape and potential growth opportunities for this industry in numerous American cities.
Note: while EDF has attempted to ensure the overall accuracy of information provided, we take no responsibility for any inaccuracies in the business information supplied on the Methane Mitigation Industry Map.
- Find Measure Fix: Jobs in the U.S. Methane Emissions Mitigation Industry (2021)
- Find and Fix: Job Creation in the Emerging U.S. Methane Mitigation Industry (2017)
- Emerging U.S. methane mitigation industry (2014)