Environmental Defense Fund president Fred Krupp, who has guided EDF for more than three decades, is a widely recognized leader of the international environmental community. He is an influential voice on climate change, energy, and sustainability issues, and an eloquent champion for harnessing the power of the marketplace to protect our environment.
Under Krupp’s leadership, EDF has become one of the world’s largest and most influential environmental organizations. Since he took the helm in 1984, EDF’s annual operating budget has grown from $3 million to over $160 million, staff has increased from 50 to more than 550, membership has expanded from 40,000 to over 1.5 million, and new offices have opened in China, Mexico and the UK.
In 2011, serving on U.S. Energy Secretary Steven Chu’s advisory panel for shale gas production, Krupp was a powerful voice for strong regulation and enforcement to protect local communities from air and water pollution caused by natural gas development. He has focused national attention on the problem of methane emissions – methane is a potent greenhouse gas – from the oil-and-gas system. Krupp has also led EDF’s innovative corporate partnerships with FedEx, KKR, McDonald’s, Walmart and others.
Under Krupp’s leadership, EDF became the architect of the federal market-based acid rain policy that has reduced average U.S. air concentrations of sulfur dioxide by 76% since 1990. In 2002, The Economist called it “the greatest green success story of the past decade.”
An avid rower, Krupp won a gold medal in the 2006 World Rowing Masters Regatta sponsored by FISA, the international rowing federation. He has been profiled in The Wall Street Journal, The New Republic, and Bloomberg Businessweek, appears frequently in the national media, and was named one of America’s Best Leaders by U.S. News and World Report. He lives with his family in Connecticut.
Krupp was educated at Yale and the University of Michigan Law School, and received an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters degree from Haverford College.
Krupp is co-author with Miriam Horn of the New York Times bestseller Earth: The Sequel – The Race to Reinvent Energy and Stop Global Warming.
- “Why Scott Pruitt is such a threat: Trump’s EPA pick would be a disaster for the air we breathe and water we drink” New York Daily News, December 7, 2016
- “The Moment for Urgent Climate Action” Real Clear Policy, November 7, 2016
- “Restoring Fisheries, Scoring a Net Gain” Wall Street Journal, July 10, 2016 (with Rob Walton)
- “In North America, growing cohesion on environment” Miami Herald, June 28, 2016 (with Mario Molina)
- “When Red and Blue in Congress Makes Green” Wall Street Journal, June 10, 2016
- “Leonardo DiCaprio and Fred Krupp: five ways to deliver on the Paris climate talks” The Guardian, April 22, 2016 (with Leonardo DiCaprio)
- “Pennsylvania shows EPA the way on pending methane policy” The Hill, March 14, 2016 (with Davitt Woodwell)
- “U.S.-Canada methane deal: Small investment, big payoff” The Globe and Mail, March 12, 2016 (with Ed Whittingham)
- “Walmart: The Awakening of an Environmental Giant” Huffington Post, February 17, 2016
- “Fixing the Methane Leaks That Deflate Natural-Gas Gains” The Wall Street Journal, February 3, 2016
- “Congress must pass a strong chemical safety bill” The Hill, February 3, 2016
- “The World Has a Methane Problem — But We Can Solve It” Huffington Post, December 9, 2015
- “The critical emissions target missing from the climate debate” The Globe and Mail, December 8, 2015 (with Ed Whittingham)
- “3 Signs We’re Entering a Golden Age for Carbon Markets” Huffington Post, November 19, 2015 (with Nat Keohane)
- “The ripple effect” International Emissions Trading Association Greenhouse Gas Market 2015/2016 Report, November 18, 2015 (with Nat Keohane)
- “An Airbnb Where Vulnerable Wildlife Checks In” Wall Street Journal, October 14, 2015
- “How Fishermen Can Replenish the Seas” Huffington Post, September 21, 2015
- “The energy bill needs a climate pollution ‘score’” The Hill, September 10, 2015
- “A Clean-Energy Breakthrough” Wall Street Journal, August 3, 2015
- “Delivering a Greener Fleet of Trucks” Wall Street Journal, June 19, 2015 (with Indra Nooyi)
- How to Keep Belt and Road Green China Daily, May 8, 2015
- “Sen. Udall is a true champion for environment” Albuquerque Journal, March 23, 2015
- “The World Can Turn the Corner on Climate Change by 2020. Here’s How” Huffington Post, February 11, 2015
- “A Game-Changing Climate Agreement” Wall Street Journal, November 12, 2014
- “As Clean Energy Accelerates, a New Era of Choice Is Upon Us” Power magazine, July 2014>
- “Don’t Just Drill, Baby-Drill Carefully” Foreign Affairs, May/June 2014
- “Fred Krupp on the benefits of monitoring resource use”> McKinsey Quarterly, April 2014
- “The Right Way to Develop Shale Gas” The New York Times, April 30, 2014 (with Michael R. Bloomberg)
- “Unusual Allies on Green Legislation” Wall Street Journal, March 5, 2014 (with Charles Davidson)