Gifts of stocks, bonds and mutual funds

Gifts of securities such as stocks, bonds and mutual funds are especially advantageous if you hold a security such as stock that has increased in value since you acquired it. By making a gift of stock held longer than one year, you completely avoid paying capital gains tax. In addition, you would receive an income tax deduction for the current market value of the gift. You may deduct gifts totaling up to 30% of your adjusted gross income in any year, with a five-year carry-over for any excess.

Electronic Transfer/DTC

If you hold stocks or bonds in street name with a broker, you may transfer the securities electronically by instructing your broker to send the securities to our account through the Depository Trust Company (DTC). Please contact either of us for transfer instructions:

Environmental Defense Fund contact:

Camille Britton
Phone: (800) 505-0703 ext. 1218
Fax: (212) 505-0892

Our account at UBS Financial Services:

The Fortis Group at UBS Financial Services Inc.
Contact: Grant Templin
Phone: (212) 626-8754
Fax: (855) 270-9459

In order to facilitate the transfer and acknowledgment of your stock gift, please notify us of your name, the name of the stock and the number of shares being donated before you transfer the stocks. Of course, we will respect the wishes of donors who prefer not to have their name publicly disclosed. You may notify us by contacting Camille Britton.

Stock and Bond Certificates

If you hold stocks or bonds in certificate form, you may send the certificates via registered mail to Environmental Defense Fund at the address below. Please leave the back of the certificate blank and don’t endorse it.

Environmental Defense Fund
Attn: Camille Britton
257 Park Avenue South
New York, NY 10010

Separately, in a second envelope via regular first-class mail, send us one stock power for each stock certificate. You may download a stock power form or obtain stock powers from your bank or broker. Be sure to sign the power exactly as you’re listed on the face of the certificate.

When you fill out the stock power form(s), please leave the assignment blank to facilitate our selling the shares. You will need to sign each form and fill in the description of the stock. Enclose a dated letter which identifies the stock and includes your signature as it appears on the certificate and/or stock power.

Mutual Funds

Mutual funds make excellent gifts and offer the same tax benefits as gifts of stocks or bonds.

If your mutual funds are held by your broker or banker, or are in certificate form, please use the procedure for stocks or bonds explained above.

If your mutual funds are held by the fund company, you may write a dated letter to the fund, indicating your account number and instructing them to transfer the shares to:

Environmental Defense Fund
Tax identification number 11-6107128
Attn: Camille Britton
257 Park Avenue South
New York, NY 10010

Your letter should be signed and your signature guaranteed by your broker or banker. Enclose a copy of your latest statement if possible.

Send your letter by certified mail (and return receipt requested if you would like to have proof of its delivery). Please send a copy of your authorization to Camille Britton to notify us of your gift.

Note: Most mutual fund companies have a toll-free number for shareholder questions. You may want to call them to confirm the above procedure before mailing your authorization letter.

If you would like more information on gifts of stocks, bonds or mutual funds, please contact Camille Britton.