Your donations support our program work
Environmental Defense Fund’s work entails a lasting commitment to preserve natural systems on which life and livelihoods depend. We must maintain the financial strength needed to fund this long-term effort.
EDF continued to grow during fiscal 2014, as total operating expenses reached $134 million, an 11% increase over fiscal 2013. Support and revenue of $152 million in fiscal 2014 showed significant fundraising strength. Although the total was similar to fiscal 2013, that prior year included a single foundation gift providing $70 million of new multiyear funding. (Nonprofit accounting principles require us to record income in the year funds are raised, not in the year designated for use.)
In fiscal 2014, non-foundation funding increased 44%, with more than half of total support and revenue coming from individual contributions and membership.
Program spending in fiscal 2014 was 84% of total expenditures. Development represented 7% of expenses, while management and administration was 6%. Membership and new member acquisition totaled 3%.
Over the past four years, EDF’s net assets have grown more than 50% to $212 million, providing a strong financial foundation as we embark on the ambitious goals of Blueprint 2020, our strategic plan for the next five years.
We are thankful for your support and realize that as more donors recognize EDF’s innovative program work, we have an ongoing responsibility to steward your investment well, while delivering strong results for the environment and human health.
Audited Consolidated Financial Statements
- 2014 fiscal year ended September 30, 2014 [PDF]
- 2013 fiscal year ended September 30, 2013 [PDF]
- 2012 fiscal year ended September 30, 2012 [PDF]
Environmental Defense Fund:
- 2014 fiscal year form 990 [PDF] (2013 filing)
- 2013 fiscal year form 990 [PDF] (2012 filing)
- 2012 fiscal year form 990 [PDF] (2011 filing)
California Fisheries Fund:
- 2014 fiscal year form 990, California Fisheries Fund [PDF] (2013 filing)
- 2013 fiscal year form 990, California Fisheries Fund [PDF] (2012 filing)
- 2012 fiscal year form 990, California Fisheries Fund [PDF] (2011 filing)
Total support and revenue
Sources of support and revenue