Your donations support our program work
Environmental Defense Fund’s lasting commitment to preserve natural systems requires financial strength and the stewardship to stay the course.
EDF continued to grow during fiscal year 2016, as total operating expenses reached a record $164 million, a 13% increase over fiscal 2015.
Record support and revenue of $172 million in fiscal 2016 represents an 18% increase over the prior year, showing sound fundraising strength. A significant portion of support is received in the form of multiyear grants. Nonprofit accounting principles require us to record income in the year that funds are raised, not in the year designated for use.
Program spending was 85% of total expenses. Development represented 7% of expenses, while management and administration was 6%. Membership and new member acquisition totaled 2%.
At the end of fiscal 2016, EDF’s net assets stood at $217 million, providing a strong financial foundation as we pursue our ambitious environmental goals.
We are thankful for your support and realize that as more donors recognize EDF’s innovative work, we have a responsibility to steward your investment well and deliver strong results for the environment and human health.
Audited Consolidated Financial Statements
Environmental Defense Fund
- 2015 fiscal year form 990 [PDF] (2014 filing)
- 2014 fiscal year form 990 [PDF] (2013 filing)
- 2013 fiscal year form 990 [PDF] (2012 filing)
California Fisheries Fund
- 2015 fiscal year form 990, California Fisheries Fund [PDF] (2014 filing)
- 2014 fiscal year form 990, California Fisheries Fund [PDF] (2013 filing)
- 2013 fiscal year form 990, California Fisheries Fund [PDF] (2012 filing)