Chicago: Snapshot of natural gas leaks
Unfortunately, the device you’re using can’t show this interactive map. Would you like us to email you a link to view later?
- How many leaks: Our readings indicated an average of about one leak for every three miles we drove.
- Utility: The greater Chicago area is serviced by Peoples Gas, Nicor, and North Shore Gas Co, although the areas mapped fall primarily within Peoples Gas territory.
- Pipe materials: About 37% of the Peoples Gas pipes are made from cast iron or other corrosive and leak-prone materials.
- Age of pipes: More than 38% of the pipes are more than 50 years old.
- Dates mapped: Cars with air sensors took readings in the survey areas from September through December 2014. This map represents a snapshot in time and may not reflect current leaks due to repairs or other changes.
Explore Chicago map
Most leaks don’t pose an immediate threat to safety or health, but some can. We have shared this data with Peoples Gas.
If you ever smell gas, or have any reason to suspect a problem, experts say to immediately exit the building or area, then call the authorities.For more see the Peoples Gas safety page.More about why leaks are a problem »