Writer/Editor, Creative Team
WRITER / EDITOR, Creative Team
Marketing & Communications
New York, NY
With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. This leading green group, with offices from Boston to Beijing, has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life. EDF is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
EDF seeks a writer/editor to cover cutting-edge environmental issues. Working with leading scientists, policy analysts and communications colleagues, the writer/editor generates articles and multiple other editorial projects in the fields of climate change, energy, oceans, ecosystems and human health. The ideal candidate is dedicated to editorial excellence and enjoys making technical copy accessible to lay readers. We are looking for an individual who has a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world. Reporting to the Editorial Director, the writer/editor will work out of EDF’s national headquarters in New York City.
- Conceive, research and write in-depth stories on cutting-edge environmental subjects in the areas of climate change, energy, oceans ecosystems and human health.
- Story research and fact checking on a variety of publications.
- Assist in all phases of project production with an emphasis on EDF’s flagship quarterly magazine Solutions and the annual report.
- Organize information and write a clear, concise, interesting and grammatically correct story, while meeting deadlines
- Serve as liaison between editors and program staff
- Work with Membership colleagues to develop ways to better engage EDF’s one million + members and supporters.
- Work with EDF photo editor and designers to develop compelling visual imagery.
- Occasional maintenance of team spreadsheets and other light administrative duties.
- Bachelor’s degree required; major in English, communications or journalism preferred
- Minimum two years of full time online or print writing experience; (editing experience a plus)
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing
- Demonstrated experience in planning, researching and creating stories & spreads designed to influence.
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple deadlines is a must.
- Ability to work under pressure in a collegial environment
- Superb organizational skills, including an ability to work on multiple stories at a time.
- Ability to identify and create stories and visual assets that are both on brand and resonate with EDF’s members and supporters in every state.
- Excellent research skills
Environmental Defense Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer