With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 630 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
The Florida Diverse Engagement & Partnerships project is a collaborative and intersectional effort involving Moms Clean Air Force (Moms), Defend Our Future (Defend), EDF National Field Operations (Field), and EDF Latino Engagement & Partnerships, along with external partners such as Mi Familia Vota (MFV). The objective of this project is to build out an educational advocacy campaign with diverse communities by integrating current on-the-ground resources. This campaign will help mobilize communities around environmental and public health protections, along with community-identified issues, and foster conversations with lawmakers at every level of government to build support for diverse voices.
This is an exciting opportunity to lead strategic outreach in a battleground state that is experiencing climate change and is a top destination to thousands of Americans seeking refugee from Hurricane Maria. The Fellow will have the support of Moms and Defend - two special projects of the EDF, that combined have more than 1 million members currently organizing to combat air pollution and the changing climate crisis. In addition, the Fellow will conduct new research to better understand how EDF and partners can reach out to diverse constituencies that environmental organizations have been slow to reach engage.
Tasks will include but are not limited to:
- Lead research on how to better engage millennial voters/voters in rural areas of the state
- Research, identify and engage new diverse partners at the local, state and federal levels, especially in the environmental justice field; serve as the relationship manager for selected groups and individuals
- Research targeted Congressional districts and legislators
- Work with special projects from EDF and their communications staff and consultants to develop and manage the social and traditional media communications that target diverse communities on behalf of EDF, always looking for new opportunities to better communicate with these constituencies, including researching and identifying new bloggers, creating memes and other visuals and messaging to engage EDF’s membership, and ensuring there is consistent and robust engagement of communities of color across EDF’s social media platforms
- Spearhead multiple district visits, including scheduling meetings with Members of Congress or their staff, developing and compiling lobbying materials, leading lobbying delegations on the Hill, and conducting follow-up to hill meetings including writing and filing lobbying reports and issuing thank yous to constituents and Members of Congress and staff
- Conduct 2-4 trips into the field to work with partners, EDF field consultants, and Moms organizers on in-district lobbying visits, events, conferences and outreach
- Investigate grant opportunities to support this program and potential programs in other priority regions, and work with EDF supervisors to develop and submit grant proposals
- Organize a Moms event emphasizing their various projects - Moms & Mayors, MadreTierra, Health Justice, District Play-In, etc.
- Organize an event specifically targeting millennials, where the Fellow will represent Defend
- Organize a field event targeting diverse business community members
- Produce notes and reports for events, field actions, and meetings
- Demonstrated interest in environmental justice, health and/or field organizing
- Preferred experience in field organizing, campaigns, or communications work
- Highly proficient in social media applications
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Must be well organized, motivated, and detail-oriented
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and meet deadlines in a fast-moving environment
- Ability to work in a team setting and have the ability to work independently when projects are due
- Demonstrate initiative and problem solving skills
- Bilingual preferred
- Ties to Florida ideal
Washington, DC (EDF’s offices)
1 year Fellowship
Full-time (35 hours/week)
Interested applicants should attach their cover letter and resume to the EDF application, together with two writing samples.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply