With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 630 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
Supply Chain Safer Chemicals Intern
Program: EDF+Business, Supply Chain team
Washington, D.C.; Bentonville, AR
EDF pioneered the NGO/corporate partnership model, and over the past 25 years has worked with leading companies to reduce the environmental impact of products and services. Our mission is to transform the marketplace into one that thrives by valuing, protecting, and improving the environment. Our initiatives are designed to achieve significant environmental results, generate business benefits for our business partners, and create new industry-wide best practices. For more information, including examples of past and current partnerships, visit http://business.edf.org
Consumer products are integral to our lives, providing comfort, efficiencies, nutrition, and entertainment. But they also have a large impact on the environment and our health. The manufacture and use of consumer goods account for 60% of global greenhouse gas emissions and two-thirds of tropical deforestation globally. Consumer products are also a significant source of our exposure to toxic chemicals that have been linked to serious disorders and diseases such as cancer, infertility, and asthma. The EDF+Business Supply Chain team is focused on greening the global shopping cart.EDF has made it a priority to work with some of the biggest retailers and brands in the industry including Walmart, Target, Campbell’s and Smithfield. Under the direction of the Senior Manager of Consumer Health, Supply Chain, the Analyst will play an integral role in the team’s mission to make everyday products safer and more sustainable, by improving the way they are designed, produced, distributed, and consumed.
- Perform research and data analysis to support the measurement of toxic chemical reductions in consumer product supply chains
- Collect and synthesize market data to help the team identify influencers, improvement hotspots, innovations, success stories, and potential opportunities for business engagement
- Communicate methodologies, analyses, and results via presentations, blogs, reports, and other methods
- Work in close collaboration with business and science experts at EDF
- Graduating with an undergraduate degree with an emphasis on analysis, logical reasoning, or problem solving (e.g., engineering, economics, political science, physical sciences, etc.) between December 2019 and June 2020. Typically a Senior status. May be a candidate for MBA or MS.
- Strong analytical skills and experience performing rigorous analysis;
- Proficiency in using MS Excel or Access, or other data management systems to combine and analyze large datasets from various sources and generate reports and graphics;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Proven project management skills;
- Ability to work independently and as a member of small teams in a dynamic and creative environment;
- Interest (and/or experience) in environmental or public health issues;
- Creative and innovative thinking, willing to challenge the status quo and propose new ideas and opportunities;
- Proficiency in the use of standard business software, including MS Word and PowerPoint;
Washington, DC or Bentonville, AR
January 2019-June 2019
Part-Time 15-20 hr/wk
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply