With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
The Stewardship Communications Manager will be responsible for supporting stewardship communications and experiences for EDF’s top supporters. They will work closely with colleagues in Development, Marketing and Programs to develop creative stewardship opportunities that recognize and reinforce relationships between individual and institutional funders. The manager will assist with basic graphic and web design, video editing and technical and persuasive writing in support of the organization’s highest priorities.
This position is part of the Development Communications team within EDF’s Development Department. This position location is flexible, preferably in EDF’s New York, San Francisco or Washington D.C. offices.
The Stewardship Communications Manager will report to the Senior Director of Development Communications and coordinate closely with the Director of Donor Stewardship and Gift Administration.
- Develop creative stewardship opportunities for individual and institutional supporters based on each funder’s interests and relationship to EDF.
- Execute communications strategies and outreach materials, including videos, infographics, web pages and other visually compelling content.
- Utilize exceptional writing and editing skills to draft compelling, high quality, polished documents (including, but not limited to, reports, briefings and summary documents) for funders, drawing from multiple sources.
- Serve as a liaison between the Development Communications team, the Stewardship Team and the Marketing department to help identify strategic opportunities for communications support.
- Work with fundraisers to identify needs for donor stewardship materials, including assessing and resolving gaps and other issues in content, framing and donor positioning.
- Act as bridge between program work and donors; effectively translating program verbiage and data into appropriate language for donor communications.
- Communicate and collaborate effectively and extensively with development and program staff in carrying out tasks and responsibilities, including with geographically-dispersed colleagues.
- Support project management of a variety of communications materials and outputs in a face-paced environment, often executing on tight deadlines.
- Bachelor’s degree with a preferred background in environmental studies/science/ English/communications/political science or other relevant major.
- Experience with anticipating and serving the needs of high net worth donors, preferably as part of a donor relations team.
- Basic graphic and web design, and video creation and editing experience.
- Minimum of three years demonstrated success in a non-profit setting.
- Knowledge of environmental issues and/or related science issues strongly preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and computer literacy.
- Ability to quickly grasp and translate complicated subject matter.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, working well with a wide range of colleagues across geographies.
- Excellent strategic thinking, planning, project management and organizational skills.
- Passion for gaining insights and translating them into effective communications with associated action plans.
- Experience developing and implementing stewardship plans in cooperation with diverse stakeholders that are high-visibility.
- Hands-on experience building and executing on communication strategies that leverage multiple channels to achieve goals with measurable results.
- Well-organized self-starter able to work as a strong team player, as well as independently.
- Commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace.
- An understanding of, and commitment to, Environmental Defense Fund’s mission.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply