With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
Sr. Director, Climate Innovation and Technology Policy
Location: Washington, D.C.
The Senior Director will have responsibility for shaping and leading EDF’s growing federal innovation policy portfolio. The Senior Director will design and implement a research and advocacy strategy aiming at securing significant increases in federal research, development, and demonstration (RD&D) funding. The Senior Director will maintain and collaborate with a strong network of scientists, economists, industry leaders, and technical and policy experts from inside and outside EDF to sharpen. The Senior Director will be a trusted voice in the media and with other stakeholders and will build relationships with key donors, trustees, and other partners. The Senior Director reports to the Vice President, U.S. Climate.
• Craft and refine a coherent and effective climate innovation strategy and oversee research and analytical efforts to support the strategy
• Create and regularly update innovation policy objectives, recommend, and refine organizational advocacy positions, and ensure EDF maintains a robust, up-to-date, and sophisticated understanding of the policy landscape
• Develop, review, and respond to legislative proposals, including Appropriations requests, and serve as an expert resource to Capitol Hill and Administration staff in partnership with EDF lobbyists
• Maintain a working knowledge of low- and zero-carbon technologies at various stages of development, and an awareness of the key strengths and weaknesses of technologies from a climate perspective
• Write and contribute to white papers, technical reports, policy briefs, and other communications materials aimed at external audiences including policymakers, key NGO stakeholders, and donors
• Establish and represent EDF as a thought leader, trusted expert and technical partner with external audiences, and present our vision and priorities in a compelling and persuasive manner
• Directly and indirectly manage and mentor staff
• Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values
The successful candidate must have a experience/knowledge on the low- and zero-carbon technology ecosystem. The candidate should also have:
• A graduate degree in policy or a related field, with more than 12 years of experience
• Experience overseeing, conducting, and presenting on timely, policy-relevant research and analysis
• Demonstrated success in managing and inspiring matrixed and interdisciplinary teams
• Exceptional problem-solving skills
• Strong ability to effectively synthesize and communicate technical and policy findings in a clear and concise manner to colleagues internally and to external non-technical audiences
• Strong writing, analytical, and communication skills
• Enthusiasm and aptitude for understanding politics and working within political context
• Passion for environmental protection, coupled with a focus on pragmatic, results-based policy solutions
• Commitment to ensuring that climate and innovation policy helps achieve environmental justice and equity outcomes
• Strong ability to work autonomously, set priorities, and take initiative consistent with broad strategic guidance and to execute in a fast-paced environment with changing needs and critical deadlines
• Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply