With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 630 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
Do you feel the environment is under assault today, and do you have the talent and drive to do something about it? Are you passionate about working with underserved communities on clean energy, human health and pollution? We’re offering an amazing storytelling opportunity at the Environmental Defense Fund (EDF).
EDF seeks a Senior Writer/Editor to cover cutting-edge environmental issues in the field of Energy reporting to EDF’s two million members and supporters. Working with leading scientists, policy analysts and communications colleagues, you will also generate articles on topics such as climate change, oceans, ecosystems and human health. We are looking for an individual who has a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world. If you pride yourself on your ability to translate jargon into clear, valuable information, this is work that you’ll find endlessly satisfying and mentally stimulating. Reporting to the Editorial Director, the Senior Writer/Editor will work out of either EDF’s national headquarters in New York City, or in satellite EDF offices in Washington, D.C. or Austin, TX.
- Pitch, research and write in-depth stories on environmental subjects in the areas of climate change, energy, oceans ecosystems and human health
- Focus particularly on EDF’s oil and gas and renewable energy programs, bringing to life our cutting edge work to make energy production as equitable, safe and clean as possible
- Keep abreast of new developments and potential stories by maintaining close relationships with oil and gas communications and program staff
- Story research and fact checking on a variety of publications
- Assist in all phases of project production with an emphasis on EDF’s flagship quarterly magazine Solutions and the annual report
- Organize information and write a clear, concise, interesting and grammatically correct story, while meeting deadlines
- Serve as liaison between editors and program staff
- Work with Membership colleagues to develop ways to better engage EDF’s one million + members and supporters
- Work with EDF photo editor and designers to develop compelling visual imagery
- Occasional maintenance of team spreadsheets and other light administrative duties
- Bachelor’s degree required; major in English, communications or journalism preferred
- Corporate experience a plus
- Minimum three years of full time online or print writing experience (editing experience a plus)
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing
- Demonstrated experience in planning, researching and creating stories & spreads designed to influence
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and manage multiple deadlines is a must
- Ability to work under pressure in a collegial environment
- Superb organizational skills, including an ability to work on multiple stories at a time
- Ability to identify and create stories and visual assets that are both on brand and resonate with EDF’s members and supporters in every state
- Excellent research skills
Please upload a cover letter and 3 writing samples, with, if possible at least one sample that includes a graphic you helped create using the upload functions when you apply. If you are unable to upload them, please email to Michael Lynch at email@example.com.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply