With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share the Core Values that allow us to experiment courageously in our work while staying true to who we’ve been as an organization for 50 years. Are you a results oriented individual who is passionate about creating environmental solutions that make a lasting difference in the world? Do you respect diverse perspectives, talents and contributions? Do you value innovation and enjoy designing and using a wide range of problem-solving tools? Do you embrace environmental goals with a sense of optimism while taking into account real-world dynamics? If you have integrity and a strong desire to uphold a commitment to science, rigorous analysis, intellectual honesty and ethical action, then EDF is the place for you.
Do you feel the environment is under assault today, and do you have the talent and drive to do something about it? Are you passionate about working on climate change, human health and political advocacy? We are offering an amazing storytelling opportunity at the Environmental Defense Fund (EDF).
EDF seeks a Senior Writer/Editor to cover the big environmental issues with a focus on the fields of legal and political advocacy. You will be communicating to EDF’s two million members and supporters. Working with the nation’s leading environmental attorneys, policy analysts on cutting-edge solutions, you will generate articles on topics such as climate change, oceans, ecosystems and human health. We are looking for a versatile individual with a passion for storytelling and making a difference in the lives of people around the world. If you pride yourself on your ability to translate jargon into clear, valuable information, this is work that you will find endlessly satisfying and mentally stimulating. Reporting to the Editorial Director, the Senior Writer/Editor will work out of either EDF’s national headquarters in New York City, or our Dupont Circle area office in Washington, D.C.
- Pitch, research and write in-depth stories on environmental subjects in the areas of climate, oceans, ecosystems and human health
- Prime responsibility covering EDF’s dynamic legal team as it takes on the Trump administration. Additional focus on EDFAction, EDF’s for-profit political and legislative advocacy partner.
- Keep abreast of new developments and potential stories by maintaining close relationships with EDF attorneys, communications and program staff
- Story research and fact checking on a variety of publications
- Assist in all phases of project production with an emphasis on EDF’s flagship quarterly magazine Solutions and the organization’s annual report
- Organize information and write clear, concise, interesting and grammatically correct stories, while meeting deadlines
- Serve as liaison between editors and program staff
- Work with Membership colleagues to develop ways to better engage EDF’s two million members and supporters
- Work with EDF photo editor and designers to develop compelling visual imagery
- Light administrative duties as they pertain to your role in the editorial process
- Bachelor’s degree required; major in English, communications or journalism preferred
- Corporate experience a plus
- Minimum 5 years of full time print or online writing experience (editing experience a plus)
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing
- Demonstrated experience in planning, researching and creating stories and spreads designed to influence
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and manage multiple deadlines is a must
- Ability to work under pressure in a collegial environment
- Ability to identify and create stories and visual assets that are both on brand and resonate with target audiences
- Excellent research skills
- Washington, D.C. location is a plus.
Please upload a cover letter and three published writing samples, with, if possible at least one sample that includes a graphic you helped create.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply