With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
This posting is for an onsite role at our St. Petersburg, FL office only
The Senior Specialist will oversee development and implementation of key aspects of EDF’s St. Petersburg based Florida office including but not limited the development and execution of campaigns to advance priority goals of EDF’s Florida strategy. The Senior Specialist will implement project management best practices for complex science-based policy initiatives, manage relationships with varied stakeholders, and ensure campaign deliverables and objectives are met. An initial focus will be refining and advancing an electric vehicle infrastructure strategy for Florida.
The Senior Specialist will coordinate internal and external cross-functional and geographically dispersed teams, independently guide and manage research and policy projects, and effectively identify and build relationships with key stakeholders including policymakers and government agencies.
Independent judgement is required to plan, prioritize and organize workload within this busy program. Ideal candidates are driven self-starters with the ability to learn and implement workflow processes quickly and work well within a team. The Senior Specialist will report to the Florida Director.
- Attend, participate, and represent EDF in meetings with policymakers and advocacy coalition partners, with responsibility for documenting, identifying and tracking key takeaways and next steps, including research needs.
- Identify and develop relationships with key stakeholders in regulatory, academic, environmental justice, private and non-profit sectors with the goal of fostering relationships, gathering information, developing project ideas, recruiting partners, and advancing the overall strategic vision of the project through partnerships and collaboration.
- Deploy project management skills to ensure team priorities are clearly articulated, goals and milestones are established, and effective structures and processes are in place to achieve goals.
- Collaborate effectively with project teams of internal and external partners to encourage alignment, track and monitor progress, and ensure that milestones are met within timeline and budget; proactively identify potential issues and communicate with Director to propose solutions.
- Synthesize issue research and policy analysis and draft/edit documents and other materials to support EDF’s advocacy agenda, strategic communications efforts, internal and external reporting requirements, and other purposes
- Serve as EDF representative in meetings, with media and policymakers.
- Support the development and use of necessary tools and documents to streamline project management, foster project flow, and maintain efficiency.
- Develop and execute strategic policy advocacy and education campaigns.
- Help to coordinate activities, events and projects.
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Additional relevant responsibilities as assigned.
- Master’s degree and at least three (3) years of work experience in community organizing, environmental policy and/or advocacy campaigns preferred; Bachelors plus five (5) years required.
- Experience in project management and exceptional personal organization and attention to detail required.
- A high level of strategic thinking is required to synthesize complex information to identify and deploy action plans
- Possess a high degree of diplomacy to influence and manage key stakeholders and teams
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate, build effective coalitions, and work within diverse communities.
- Creativity, energy, and the ability to multi-task and get work done under pressure and respond quickly to changing opportunities.
- Strong and persuasive verbal and written communication skills.
- Presence, confidence, integrity, creativity and a sense of humor.
- Ability and willingness to work as a strong team player, together with a demonstrated capacity to work independently and as a self-starter.
- Highly proficient computer skills, including MS Office Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- An understanding of and commitment to Environmental Defense Fund’s mission of protecting the natural environment and limiting humankind’s impact on the planet.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply