With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of over 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
Reporting to the Associate Vice President of Diversity Equity & Inclusion, the Senior Specialist for DEI is responsible for achieving EDF’s strategic goals by having a specific focus on internal diversity, inclusion, and equity initiatives. This role will execute HR functions that support the development of the organization and build a positive reputation for the department with employees, managers, and leadership. Will support the implementation of a comprehensive Diversity Equity & Inclusion (DEI) plan for the global organization.
- Support a comprehensive Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI) plan.
- Assist in the implementation of DEI policies.
- Liaise with HR, Legal, and Finance teams to strengthen existing policies and practices with a racial equity and accessibility lens.
- Lead global diversity and inclusion programs and learn from global initiatives to enhance and strengthen the domestic programs.
- Collaborate with all offices to develop appropriate DEI initiatives by location.
- Work hand to hand with the base for the DEI communications to support program initiatives by utilizing goals and solid measurements.
- Provide assistance in the development and implementation of an annual diversity report that includes data insights and strategic plans for growth.
- Lead training programs; ensuring DEI training is tailored for staff in each country.
- Work with a mix of local diversity and inclusion councils and employee resource groups.
- Manage EDF’s Mentorship Program.
- Attend diversity career fairs and conferences as appropriate to develop EDF’s brand.
- Stay current with leading research and innovative trends in the diversity and inclusion space, assess gaps and opportunities for improving EDF’s DEI efforts, and build relationships with DEI professionals, organizations, and networks.
- Provide assistance and support to staff regarding onboarding and offboarding of staff, employee relations, counseling employees concerning work-related issues, interpreting and applying company policies, procedures, practices, benefits, salary changes, etc.
- Maintain documentation for vendor contracts, invoicing etc.
- Maintain DEI Insider page up to date.
- Monitor, evaluate, or record training activities or program effectiveness.
- Bachelor’s degree required and at least 2-4 years of experience, 5 preferred, of relevant professional experience, experience with global non-profits a plus.
- Strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills in one-on-one interactions, group situations, and through presentations and events.
- Excellent project management and organizational skills with a strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and high degree of cultural awareness, sensitivity, and flexibility.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to translate data and analytics into insights, stories, and visual representations to present and share across EDF.
- Ability to work both independently and collaborate effectively with diverse colleagues in a fast-paced, dynamic and entrepreneurial environment.
- Ability to handle complex issues with discretion and maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Ability to respond quickly to employee and leadership questions/inquiries, take the initiative, multitask, prioritize to meet tight deadlines, and work well under pressure while maintaining a positive attitude.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, familiarity with HRIS (Workday preferred) and ability to use and learn other programs and systems as needed.
- Non-profit experience and experience working across departments.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply