With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
Any EDF US office (Austin, TX; Boston; Washington, DC; New York City, NY; Boulder, CO; Raleigh, NC; San Francisco, CA) or Remote US.
The Senior Specialist, Digital Marketing will report to the Senior Manager, Defend Our Future under EDF’s Political Affairs department; and will work closely with EDF’s Membership team to develop and execute digital advocacy and fundraising campaigns to advance our environmental protection strategies. This position will be responsible for developing digital content that fosters a deep sense of community that grows brand engagement and fosters a pipeline of new donors and advocates.
This position will be primarily responsible for developing digital engagement strategies for Defend Our Future, a special project under Political Affairs designed to reach key target audience of young people aged 18-35 across the country to mobilize for bold climate solutions.
- Devise and implement online advocacy campaigns around Defend’s campaign priorities. This work includes writing and building relevant and timely action alerts, emails, landing pages, cultivation content, and fundraising pages to engage key target audiences.
- Maintain up-to-date overall activity calendar for engaging key audience targets and advancing Defend’s engagement goals. Coordinate schedules with key stakeholders in Political Affairs and Membership.
- Develop and implement the overall social media strategy for Defend Our Future’s channels (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn) for all content initiatives, and explore potential new networks.
- Contribute to internal pitch meetings to optimize timely news and culture content, setting the posting schedule across multiple social media channels and drafting social media posts that align with voice, brand and campaign goals.
- Manage all third-party and internal social media tools and content management systems for social.
- Develop, analyze, and present regular and actionable reports on the results of digital communication strategies.
- Conduct specific data and fact research as needed to increase campaign capacity related to recruiting and engaging influential individuals.
- Synchronize messaging across all digital media platforms.
- Align with EDF brand and social teams for expanded campaigns.
- Manage project details/deadlines in a fast-paced environment that adheres to the milestones in the editorial calendar but can pivot quickly based on breaking news.
- Stay on top of the latest digital trends, innovations and opportunities. Significantly contribute to the team by regularly recommending approaches to achieving digital goals and taking the lead on appropriate courses of action
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- B.A. degree and at least four years, or an advanced degree and at least two years of relevant digital advocacy & fundraising experience with a solid understanding of best practices, creative design, landing page optimization, testing, social media management, email list management, listening technologies, and analytics.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to work with and influence colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience.
- Strong understanding of and/or experience working with environmental justice and climate justice issues, and an interest in being a strong advocate for environmental solutions that protect people and the planet from harm.
- Strong storytelling skills with the ability to communicate complex strategic campaign concepts in streamlined, logical and well-designed presentations.
- Proven experience with A/B testing and program optimization.
- Deep understanding of digital media analytics and turning data into actionable insights, as well as familiarity with how to run reports and benchmark the performance of campaigns and donor development.
- Demonstrated online CRM/advocacy tools experience, especially as it relates to segmenting email files based on previous engagements and interactions
- Basic HTML and graphic design skills preferred.
- Good judgement, initiative, and ability to anticipate problems and follow through with confidence.
- Ability to work in a team setting as well as independently.
- Ability to plan, prioritize, and organize a varied workload, with no supervision, including the ability to rapidly adjust priorities to account for new opportunities.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply