Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 850 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Location is flexible, preferably in EDF’s New York, San Francisco or Washington, D.C. offices. There is opportunity for a hybrid work schedule as well.
Reporting relationship: The Development Communications Senior Specialist reports to the Associate Director and Senior Editor of Development Communications.
Environmental Defense Fund’s Development team of more than 130 people solicit, steward, and engage current and prospective donors and foundations, working in partnership with colleagues across the organization to raise support for our work.
The Senior Specialist, Development Communications will help ensure the smooth functioning and high performance of the 15-member Development Communications team to prepare hundreds of proposals, reports, donor emails and other communications materials each year that help supporters understand the tangible impact they can make with their philanthropy.
- Write proposals, reports, emails and other cultivation, solicitation and stewardship materials for donors and supporters.
- Proofread and quality-check materials written by the Development Communications Team.
- Assist the Development Communications Team as needed to produce high-quality materials by gathering content, formatting, developing tables and conducting photo searches.
- Support document and process flow, ensuring deadlines are met efficiently.
- Communicate and collaborate extensively with development, program and marketing staff.
- Participate in department-wide initiatives, projects, meetings and retreats.
- Coordinate time-sensitive emails about breaking news to donors.
- Participate in advancing EDF’s diversity, equity and inclusion goals, in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Additional relevant responsibilities as assigned.
- A minimum of four (4) years experience in fundraising and fundraising communications.
- Excellent writing, proofing and editing skills with a keen understanding of style and grammar.
- Ability to translate complex technical information into plain language.
- Familiarity with best practices in project management.
- Attentive, detail-oriented, and conscientious with excellent organizational skills.
- Proficiency in Salesforce or other database or constituent relationship management systems.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office. Familiarity with Adobe Photoshop and InDesign a plus.
- Ability to adapt to change, shift gears, and prioritize effectively under deadline pressure.
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to balance small, critical tasks with big, urgent ones.
- Strong communication skills with demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as well as independently.
- An understanding of and commitment to EDF’s mission and core values of results, respect, innovation, optimism and integrity.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree in English, journalism, communications or marketing or equivalent experience.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 69,000 - 76,000 USD which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply