With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 630 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
This is a 2 year fixed term position. San Francisco or Austin are preferred locations but other EDF Offices are also possible.
The Office of Chief Scientist (OCS) is the nexus of science at EDF, ensuring that the natural and social science that is the backbone for all EDF policy positions is based on the best available information. To be most effective in this role, OCS provides programmatic support for all scientists at EDF and fosters relationships with scientists outside the organization. The OCS team works on projects across all of EDF’s programs, translating basic and applied research into actionable ideas for colleagues who are designing programs and projects.
The Senior Research Analyst will be a key team member in the Office of Chief Scientist, conducting research and analysis on biogas as a renewable energy source with particular attention to full life cycle emissions, both direct and indirect. Research focus will largely be on efforts in North America and Europe. In addition, the Senior Research Analyst will also take a leadership role on a variety of smaller projects, synthesize complex information and translate it for technical and non-technical audiences. The Senior Research Analyst will report to a Lead Senior Scientist in the Office of Chief Scientist.
- Analyze the state-of-science in biogas production pathways, infrastructure, feedstock potential, greenhouse gas impacts.
- Track current initiatives on emerging biogas policy design in North America and Europe.
- Evaluate current research gaps in biogas assessment of carbon dioxide and methane emissions
- Identify experts in academia, industry, and NGOs to help advance knowledge in the above topics, and assist in convening associated workshops.
- Four or more years of experience with a Bachelor’s degree in biogeochemistry, agricultural science/engineering or related field required.
- Master’s degree in one of these fields, preferred.
- Knowledge of environmental issues associated with agricultural practices and/or fossil fuel production.
- Experience with greenhouse gas accounting or life cycle assessment.
- Strong communication skills, including experience in presenting at scientific conferences, writing scientific publications, and communicating complex ideas to a general audience.
- Strong computational and statistical skills.
- Must be well organized, motivated, and detail-oriented.
- Strong computer proficiency, including experience with Microsoft Office, and Internet research.
- Intellectual agility and comfort with working across disciplines and learning new skills.
- Ability to complete small complex projects and research assignments.
- Ability to work independently, manage time efficiently, and collaborate effectively with diverse colleagues in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent problem solving and multi-tasking skills.
- High attention to detail.
- Willingness to travel.
- Project management experience preferred.
- Passion for environmental protection, equity, and sustainable development.
- Commitment to rigorous analysis.
- Commitment to creativity and pragmatism in the real-world application of scientific theory to practice.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply