With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
Reporting to the VP of Operations, the Senior Project Management Director will create and implement improved project management methodology and processes to help ensure EDF achieves its ambitious commitments to environmental progress under the Bezos Earth Fund (BEF) grant. The Senior Director will utilize a deep understanding of rigorous project management and change management to facilitate smooth adoption of the improved approach within the BEF projects. S/he will facilitate the creation, tracking and reporting of project outcomes and impact in partnership with programmatic staff. A view across the organization’s verticals such as HR, Legal, Finance, Marketing & Communications and Development is also required to ensure that all aspects of the organization are aligned to achieve the objectives of the grant.
This work is intended to lay the foundations for organization-wide development and roll-out of project management methodology, including the use and tracking of metrics. The Senior Director will help assess the success of the approach developed and the level of uptake and make recommendations on changes required for broader implementation.
This person would ideally be based in one of EDF’s major U.S. offices in either New York City, or Washington, DC, but we are open to considering qualified candidates to be based in the U.S. but work remotely.
- Develop the standard of practice for project management at EDF in deep consultation with others, especially program staff leading the BEF projects and the Development department. Build from already established tools and approaches like the Program Strategic Planning Framework.
- Coach project managers within the BEF projects and provide progress reports to senior staff on update/adoption of standard of practice.
- Establish a regular project review process to ensure feedback from key internal stakeholders and follow through on concerns or opportunities raised.
- Establish criteria and common approaches for financial tracking and reporting under the BEF grant, in consultation with Finance.
- Partner with the Development team to ensure grant stewardship needs are met and senior-level decision-making around overall grant management is facilitated and communicated to relevant stakeholders.
- Ensure efficiency and timeliness of reports and deliverables related to BEF, including on financial reporting of grant budgets. Facilitate processes that help ensure completeness and accuracy.
- Lead initiatives that support a more efficient BEF operation, information management, and reporting.
- Provide an assessment of the success of the project management approach developed for BEF after sufficient testing time. Facilitate review and discussion with stakeholders including senior staff, and make recommendations for adoption and/or changes required for roll out organization-wide. Contribute to the requirements gathering, tool selection – including project management software – implementation and change management processes needed.
- Proven track record of successful project management of complex projects involving multiple business unit. Delivery of high-quality results on time and on budget.
- PMP® certification/PRINCE2 certification (or other certificates acknowledged by organizations such as the PMI® or APM).
- Solid business and financial acumen.
- Ability to proactively identify opportunities for efficiency and increased productivity and think strategically, analytically, and creatively to problem solve.
- Experience using project management software to drive clarity and collaboration. Ability to draw on expertise to recommend a tool for the project to adopt.
- Experience leading change management processes and achieving successful adoption; experience within a global organization/business a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships, resolve conflict, and influence the work and outcomes of team members even if they are not direct reports.
- Familiarity with grant management/reporting.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills (written and oral).
- Ability to exercise the highest level of professional and technical judgment on a regular basis; excellent attention to detail.
- An understanding of and commitment to EDF’s mission a plus.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply