With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 630 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF aspires to improve human health and well-being by dramatically reducing exposures to air pollution. Our approach involves empowering local partners with the knowledge, tools and political capacity needed to drive reductions in air pollution. In three cities, and with plans to expand the work internationally, EDF is working with a diverse network of researchers, companies, advocacy partners and government officials to scale new air pollution monitoring and mapping technologies. We seek to advance our understanding of health impacts, and empower local actors to identify, advocate for and implement clean air policies around the world.
We are seeking a deeply strategic thinker who draws on diverse insights, findings and experience to deliver results. Are you excited by complex problems and skilled at building bridges across programs/departments and diverse partners to identify and implement solutions? Are you a strong manager who aims to build and sustain a team that is collaborative, creative and enjoys working together to improve health?
As the Senior Policy Director for Clean Air, you will join a leadership team charged with protecting public health by reducing exposures to air pollution globally. You will report to the Vice President, Health, and work closely with the Office of the Chief Scientist as well as members of the Climate, Energy, Moms Clean Air Force, EDF Europe, EDF China and EDF+Business programs. You will craft and advance innovative policies that take advantage of emerging technology to reduce air pollution and to improve health.
- Provide strategic direction and leadership for our advocacy and policy strategy that integrates with our scientific efforts to advance robust new air pollution sensing technologies and insights.
- Lead staff, consultants and partners across programs and in diverse geographies within and outside of the US.
- Serve as an external spokesperson and lead strategic communication efforts.
- Deftly and effectively project manage to achieve results.
- Serve as a mentor for junior staff and find opportunities for professional growth and development.
- At least 12 years of relevant experience.
- Proven ability to effectively lead a program or large project and staff.
- Demonstrated knowledge of air pollution or climate change policy at an international, national or regional scale.
- Passionate and forward-thinking leader who integrates science, law, markets and advocacy to initiate and achieve positive health or environmental results.
- Track record of achievement and ability to deliver impactful project/program results.
- Willingness to travel frequently.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work constructively with colleagues and partners, including scientists, lawyers, economists, industry, regulators and public policy decision makers.
Washington DC; Location Flexible
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply