Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 850 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
We are hiring three senior policy analysts to support our growing presence in Europe on a range of dossiers, such as agriculture, clean transport, energy transition and circular economy that all aim to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and help the EU meet its goal to achieve climate neutrality by 2050. One of the posts will focus specifically on Eastern Europe.
We’re looking for candidates with a broad interest in the climate change and environment agenda, strong analytical and problem-solving skills, good attention to detail, who are self-starters and want to contribute to finding solutions to the climate change challenges of the 21st Century.
In this varied role you will keep abreast of policy developments in the EU relevant to our strategic goals and look for opportunities where our expertise can add value to the debate and policy considerations in Europe. You will keep internal colleagues up to date with the information they need to develop their engagement. Your analysis will contribute to EDFE being consistently included in discussions with European policy makers, NGOs, academics and industry.
You will report to the Associate Vice President EU Strategy & Engagement in Brussels, and you will liaise closely with colleagues in Europe, the United States and in other overseas offices.
Key Responsibilities - you will
- Conduct research and analysis, as directed, on the current state of play across a broad range of European environmental issues
- Draft high-quality memos, policy briefings, presentations and policy analysis on short timelines
- Seek opportunities for EDF engagement in a broader range of issues in Europe
- Research partner organisations to broaden EDF Europe’s experience and influence
- Assist on putting together consultations on behalf of EDF Europe, gaining input from colleagues and external partners as appropriate
- Keep abreast of EDF Europe’s strategic goals and programmatic work
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values
Skills & Experience – you
- Will be educated to Master level or equivalent professional experience
- Have four or more years’ of experience of analytical work in an NGO, think-tank, public sector or business environment
- Understand the development and delivery of environmental, energy and climate policy
- Have strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build strong, influential relationships with a range of stakeholders and work collaboratively with policy makers, researchers and service users.
- Have the ability to undertake an evidence-based approach to research, including undertaking policy research, producing high quality briefings good standard of written work, ability to synthesize, and when needed present orally, complex info into accessible and succinct briefings with an eye for detail and accuracy.
- Are a significant contributor to team or unit in which you are involved. You are expected to regularly recommend approaches, methods to be followed, and you apply independent judgement to search out appropriate course of action within the context of policies and standards. You feel comfortable making evidence-based recommendations.
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the proven ability to adapt communication style dependent on audience and format including digital platforms
- Have excellent organisational skills, including ability to handle and prioritise multiple tasks and meet deadlines
- Demonstrate self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and the ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds
The role is in Brussels. We support hybrid flexible working. You must have the right to live and work in the EU when applying.
Application Deadline: October 9th, 2022
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 55,000 - 58,000 EUR which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply