With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 630 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
Senior Manager, Program Operations, Health
Washington D.C. preferred; location flexible
EDF aspires to improve human health and well-being by dramatically reducing exposures to air pollution. Our approach involves empowering local partners with the knowledge, tools and political capacity needed to drive reductions in air pollution. In three cities, and with plans to expand the work internationally, EDF is working with a diverse network of researchers, companies, advocacy partners and government officials to scale new air pollution monitoring and mapping technologies. We seek to advance our understanding of health impacts, and empower local actors to identify, advocate for and implement clean air policies around the world.
The Senior Manager, Program Operations is responsible for providing financial and programmatic goal achievement oversight for EDF’s Air Pollution project. Specifically, the Sr. Manager, Program Operations will establish and implement appropriate financial planning, accountability and adaptive program management systems, maintain program effectiveness, and ensure overall project focus. The Sr. Manager Operations will report to the Vice President, Health, manage a Program Financial Analyst, and will work closely with senior staff across programs.
The Sr. Manager, Program Operations will act as the conduit for information flow up and down a cross programmatic Air Pollution project and across the organization. S/he requires strong operations, management, communication, coaching and consulting skills and a high level of emotional intelligence.
- Lead the business management, budgeting and finance operations of the air pollution project within the Health program to include: staffing levels, budgets, contracts, and financial management. In particular, develop the annual budget, forecast expenses, staffing plans, monitor expenditures and report on each. Identify gaps and ensure they are addressed and resolved.
- Build and manage relationships with EDF (Corporate) IT, HR, and Finance departments.
- Manage financial analyst to ensure monthly budget forecasts, timely approve of invoices, receipts, etc.
- Serve a point person with Development to coordinate preparation of funding proposals.
- As requested by the VP, work with program staff to draft narrative portions of fundraising proposals and reports.
- Develop monthly budget forecasts and summary memos on planned vs actual revenue, expenditures, trends and issues of concern.
- Work with project staff to ensure they have the information they need to manage effectively from the proposal development process through all phases of project implementation.
- Support VP on all HR functions for the program, including serving as the point person for ensuring professional development, training, labor issues, and recruiting / job development are facilitated.
- In collaboration with VP and project leadership teams, determine frequency and content of status reports (budgets, progress against goals) from project managers, analyze results, and trouble shoot problem areas in order to mitigate risk; develop metrics to get more benefit out of the operational reviews and improve how the project develops proposal budgets and report on grants.
- Determine, in cooperation with senior staff, how best to track progress towards overall goals.
- Develop best practices, techniques and tools for project planning, execution, project management, ongoing milestone/deliverable tracking, and development of key performance metrics.
- Regularly review budget and expenses with program staff to ensure timely and appropriate use of approved resources.
- Ensure that a plan is in place to provide on-going development and mentoring for all staff and ensure that all senior staff support and assist in this effort.
- Facilitate better communication and coordination between programs, to flag and help staff resolve potential conflicting objectives among programs to help identify and develop inter-program synergies.
- Ensure that the VP is informed and positioned to engage with the staff in the right ways, places and times.
- Requires 8 or more years of experience.
- Managerial experience. Successful candidates will have a demonstrated ability to lead professionals from various backgrounds in a collegial and team-centered manner and have experience developing and mentoring staff.
- Strong finance and budgeting skills with an understanding of non-profit accounting and reporting requirements.
- Highly organized and dedicated to creating structure and efficient processes and planning to deliver results.
- Strong management skill to support staff in delivering on their goals and identifying project wide management and leadership support needs.
- Strong emotional intelligence and communication skills.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply