With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 630 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
Environmental Defense Fund is seeking a full-time, highly-motivated and hands-on HR Senior Manager who has a solid foundation in all functional aspects of Human Resources. The position is located in EDF’s Washington, DC office and reports directly to the Senior Director, Human Resources Business Partner. The Sr Manager will drive key HR initiatives to the leadership team and employees throughout all EDF’s offices, and will play a key role in achieving EDF’s strategic goals by identifying top talent, promoting a high performance culture, and handling day-to-day generalist responsibilities.
- The successful candidate will execute HR functions that support the development of the organization and build the positive reputation of the department with employees, senior management, and outside vendors.
- Develop and implement strategy to support the HR functions.
- Manage and maintain HR processes in order to execute day-to-day operations.
- Facilitate and support successful HR projects.
- Provide assistance to staff regarding employee relations, counseling employees concerning work-related issues, as well as interpreting and applying company policies, procedures, practices, benefits, salary changes, etc.
- Ensure the HR programs are effective and in compliance within organization.
- Support performance review program to ensure effectiveness, compliance and equity within organization.
- Recommend improvement to policies, programs, and procedures to improve human resources operations.
- Keep abreast of current EEO guidelines, human resources legislation and regulations, as well as changes in the human resources field.
- Identify opportunities for increased effectiveness of current HR programs.
- Utilize HRIS and applicant tracking system (e.g., Workday and iCims).
- Other duties as assigned.
- At least 8+ years of relevant work experience in human resources, preferably in a small firm (e.g. up to 500 employees), advance degree with at least 6+ years of experience.
- Positive attitude and ability to remain flexible in an evolving environment.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills (written and oral).
- Ability to take initiative, multitask, meet deadlines and work well under pressure.
- Self-starter with high energy; ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Knowledge of Federal, state and local laws and regulations.
- Exceptional problem-solving skills with a strong attention to detail, excellent time management and organizational skills, project management ability, and the ability to prioritize work.
- Big picture and forward thinker with ability to develop recommendations for improving and streamlining existing processes.
- Action oriented, hands-on, able to work independently and with a sense of urgency; possesses ability to juggle multiple deadlines and initiatives.
- Strong follow-through skills and the ability to be the driving force behind the completion of HR projects.
- Highest level of professionalism and communication skills with the ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Proficiency in the use of PCs and Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.)
- Familiarity with iCIMS and Workday a plus.
- HR certification preferred.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply