With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
As a member of the Finance Department, the Senior Manager, FP&A, will provide technical and decision support to the annual planning and budgeting process, monthly and quarterly forecast, and work with program finance and development staff to establish and implement appropriate financial planning. In addition, he/she will provide support to Finance and program Financial Operations with core tasks and responsibilities including analytical support and those related to supporting the organization’s operations.
This position reports to the Senior Finance Director and will work closely with other Financial Analysts, Financial and Operations colleagues, and senior management.
This role can be based remotely or in any US EDF office location.
- Support annual planning and budgeting process and prepare finance leaders for review with executive leadership
- Analyze monthly, quarterly, and annual financial and operational results and summarize variations from plan, assess performance, and make actionable recommendations
- Produce accurate and timely month-end financial reports, forecast expenses and cash flows, prepare annual budget and year-end close, and provide periodic analysis of the financials
- Provide deep analytical thought leadership to extensive aspects of EDF wide, global Revenue Analysis: analyzing monthly actuals, monthly projections, and providing educated recommendations surrounding Revenue Forecasts and budget targets.
- Assist in preparation of presentations and exhibits to summarize results of financial analysis and model outputs suitable for multiple stakeholders including executive leadership, the board of trustees and key donors
- Perform monthly financial reporting, including variance analysis and reconciliations
- In conjunction with the senior finance leadership, assist with specific projects and initiatives to support decision-making, including providing ad hoc analysis as requested by management
- Own, partner across the organization, and keep current program/mission and departmental financial forecasting, annual budgeting, and relevant periodic operational review processes
- Support the effort in providing analysis of (weekly and/or monthly) review of financial performance by teams and by subsidiaries
- Participate in process improvement initiatives across the organization as it relates to finance and rollout of ERP budgeting and planning functions
- Perform ad-hoc financial analytics that will provide decision-making support on strategic initiatives
- Work on special projects as assigned by Finance and related to supporting the ERP efforts and staff needs
- Manage a team of analysts to provide analytical support to Financial Operations staff across the organization, provide periodic revenue analysis and variance reports
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with an ability to support executive internal clients
- Minimum 6-8 years of progressive experience in a Finance and Accounting department within a non-profit organization with a B.A., or advanced degree (MBA or other Finance related master’s degrees) with equivalent experience
- International non-profit finance and operations experience is a plus
- Demonstrated familiarity of GAAP and basic understanding of non-profit accounting principles and grants management
- Managerial experience preferred. The ability to lead professionals in a collegial and team-centered manner
- Proven knowledge of budgeting, forecasting, and reporting: the ability to perform complex financial analysis and to create insight from a large-scale general ledger
- Detail-oriented: the ability to spot trends and ensure accuracy
- Ability to develop formulas, pivot tables, charts and spreadsheets that clearly present data to facilitate decision-making by management
- Strong leadership skills with ability to interact and influence at all levels
- Strategic ability and big-picture problem-solving capacity
- Willing to work some flexible hours (occasionally) to accommodate geographic time difference
- Bilingual in Mandarin Chinese is a plus
- Familiarity with Tableau or other data visualization and analytic tool is a plus
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply