With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 630 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
The Senior Communications Manager for Energy is responsible for developing and executing region-specific public relations strategies to raise awareness of our energy work in key European countries. We are seeking an experienced media strategist who can craft effective messaging and communicate about our solutions and brand to target audiences through earned, owned and paid content. S/he will manage and align European marketing communications strategy with the broader Energy Communications plan to advance the goals and vision of EDF’s Energy Program worldwide.
As an experienced communicator, s/he is adept at handling communications on complicated issues and telling stories persuasively to target audiences. S/he brings a strategic view of the energy landscape in Europe—its actors, government officials, NGOs, corporations and others—and is capable of constructing and pitching the narratives that effectively frame our solutions in this region. This person builds strategic relationships with influential media, opinion makers and other key stakeholders in the energy industry, in order to advance EDF’s thought-leadership and position.
The Senior Manager, Energy Communications reports to the Senior Communications Director for Energy and works closely with other senior leaders in the program and in the region.
- Developing and executing a comprehensive communications strategy and tactical plan that helps achieve our Energy Program objectives for Europe by delivering the right messages to key audiences.
- Maintaining, cultivating and owning relationships with agenda-setting media and reporters covering energy, climate, electricity and oil and gas industry related topics.
- Understanding the national and regional media and influencer landscapes in Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Romania and United Kingdom and cultivating relationships with online, print and broadcast journalists, editorial writers, and columnists.
- Monitoring media and identifying opportunities to insert our Energy Program messages into the news on a systematic basis, including pitching news stories, editorials, op-eds and blog posts; identify opportunities to arrange desk-side and other briefings for media.
- Writing and editing op/eds, blog posts, tweets, press releases, and other communications with nuanced messages under tight time constraints.
- Broadly raising awareness of Europe’s methane opportunity and increasing the visibility of Environmental Defense Fund experts at major industry and thought leadership events.
- Coordinating among all cross-functional departments within EDF and Environmental Defense Fund Europe to ensure message consistency and to capitalize on overlapping opportunities.
- Developing and executing events that convene business, policy and academic leaders.
- Represent EDF’s voice in collaborative, multi-stakeholder projects.
- Developing partnerships with media and other companies to amplify our messages and brand.
- An ideal candidate will have a strong experience and a successful track record in using multi-channel marketing strategies to effectively communicate on complex science and political issues in a diverse range of European countries.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant area; Master’s degree is a plus.
- A minimum of seven years professional experience in public relations, issue advocacy, political campaign or strategic communications.
- Ability to quickly craft nuanced messages, create engaging content to frame and address dynamic issues and recommend the best communications channels to reach intended audiences.
- Strong knowledge of issue advocacy, regulatory, political and campaign strategies; understanding of energy markets and environmental issues.
- Proficiency with social media tools and platforms required.
- Superior creative and opportunistic media outreach abilities.
- Experience with local, national and specialty/trade media required.
- Excellent writing, proofing and editing skills.
- Experience managing an internal team and contractors (i.e. communications consultants, Web and graphic designers, etc.).
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational skills. Ability to adapt to frequent change and prioritize multiple tasks effectively under deadline pressure.
- Speaks at least two other languages in addition to English. Preference is for French, German and Italian.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply