With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of over 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
Healthy oceans are the lifeblood of our planet. But they’re in peril – from climate change, overfishing, habitat destruction and other threats. That’s why EDF’s Oceans program is working to safeguard the oceans and protect nature, while feeding the planet, creating more secure livelihoods and bolstering more equitable societies for human well-being. One of the greatest threats to the oceans is overfishing, which is why our dedicated team of scientists, economists and fishery management experts are collaborating with partners around the globe to make sustainable fishing the norm. Through our programs in the U.S., Latin America and Asia Pacific, we draw on strong science and economic principles to advance sustainable fishing practices, forward-looking policies and innovative tools that support the health of our oceans and the people who depend on them for food and their livelihoods.
The Senior Manager, Communications, will drive an integrated advocacy campaign focused on supporting policy that provides healthy and sustainable seafood for all Americans. Reporting to the Senior Director of Global Communications for the Oceans Program, this critical position will spearhead a significant national and regional outreach campaign that will deploy paid, owned, earned and digital channels as well as leading-edge stakeholder engagement tools to reach target audiences. The Senior Manager will be responsible for guiding campaign strategy, developing compelling messages and content, ensuring message discipline across the campaign team, managing and holding to account outside vendors, and providing strong analytical results reporting.
- Develops and oversees all aspects of a significant advocacy campaign focused on enacting policy to support healthy and sustainable seafood for all
- Coordinates all communications aspects of the campaign and ensures alignment with internal and external stakeholders
- Manages staff and outside vendors
- Provides expert management of all vendors including advertising and PR agencies, stakeholder engagement firms and media buyers
- Ensures message discipline across the entire campaign and acts quickly and decisively to address any discrepancies
- Tracks results and provides real-time analytics to ensure target goals are being met
- Helps manage a portfolio of diverse partner organizations, which includes cultivating, informing, and engaging a network of local and national partners through a variety of channels
- Creates and implements proactive media outreach, including monitoring and facilitating media response to breaking news and political/legislative events
- Analyzes media landscape and advises on media relations strategies that will create the biggest impact on targeted audiences
- Writes, edits and distributes a broad range of communications materials - including news releases, social media posts, editorial pitches, presentations and op-eds - under deadline pressure
- Develops and executes digital and social media strategies, including online editorial outreach, SEO, SEM, advertising and issue advocacy
- Develops news stories on a systematic basis for feature coverage
- Maintains media contact lists and maintains regular contact and strong relationships with targeted reporters
- Helps to prepare program staff with training and advice for media opportunities
- A. Public Relations, Journalism, Communications or similar field required.
- A minimum of eight years’ experience, political campaign or PR/Ad agency experience preferred
- Thorough understanding of the advocacy communications landscape and the various tools necessary to reach a diverse set of audiences
- Experience in issue advocacy or political campaign settings, and corresponding track record of delivering superior campaign or advocacy communications results
- Excellent understanding of the legislative and regulatory process
- Strong experience managing external vendors and ensuring accountability across a wide range of outputs
- Superior creative and opportunistic media outreach abilities
- Track record of producing national and regional media coverage
- Experience working in coalitions, including coordinating communications with other organizations, preferred
- Excellent organizational skills including the ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks and to meet deadlines
- Good strategic public relations, political and media judgment
- Able to adapt to frequent change and prioritize effectively under frequent deadline pressure
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply