With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 630 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF Europe Overview
Environmental Defense Fund Europe is an affiliate organisation of Environmental Defense Fund, a leading international non-profit organisation that creates transformative solutions to the most serious environmental problems. Since 1967, Environmental Defense Fund has used science, economics, law and innovative private-sector partnerships to bring a new voice for practical solutions. Hallmarks of Environmental Defense Fund Europe’s approach include:
- Working across the political spectrum
- Presenting a positive vision
- Investing in science and data analysis
- Using legal and economics expertise to design solutions
- Working with strategic partners across all sectors
You can find full details of our programmatic goals in our European strategic plan: Forging Solutions In Europe
Health Program Overview
EDF’s Health program aspires to improve human health and well-being by dramatically reducing exposures to air pollution and accelerating the transition to a clean, low-carbon energy economy. Our approach involves empowering local partners with the knowledge, tools and political capacity needed to drive reductions in air pollution. EDF is working with a diverse network of researchers, companies, advocacy partners and government officials to scale new air pollution monitoring and mapping technologies in three cities with plans to expand the work internationally. We seek to advance our understanding of health impacts, and empower local actors to identify, advocate for and implement clean air policies around the world.
EDF Europe is working to secure significant improvement in air quality in the United Kingdom by harnessing new air pollution sensor technologies combined with the latest methods in data analysis, and by building political support for local and national clean air polices. Together in partnership with C40, the Greater London Authority, and the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation, EDF leads Breathe London, an ambitious project aimed at measuring and mapping Londoner’s daily exposure to air pollution.
The Senior Manager position is situated in EDF’s Health program, and works closely with EDF Europe’s Climate and Energy Programme.
The Senior Manager serves as the central management hub for EDF’s air pollution work in the UK, ensuring that program deliverables are achieved; fundraising responsibilities and opportunities are addressed; and the combined team of internal staff (EDFE and EDF) and external partners functions at its highest level of effectiveness. The position manages a complex cross-program budget and multiple work streams, identifies and solves problems; and promotes strong communication with key internal and external audiences. The position holder reports to the VP of Health to ensure strategic coordination and alignment with the overall strategy of the global air quality program, and works closely with the Executive Director Europe and the Climate and Energy Programme to perform these duties.
- Oversee the initiative’s progress against deliverables and timelines to anticipate roadblocks and develop solutions for overcoming them.
- Design and implement program-management processes, working closely with senior EDF Executives, Finance, Development and other key staff. Maintain productive communication across EDF and EDFE.
- Manage and lead weekly staff and partner meetings, including Breathe London’s Advisory Committee.
- Support the various teams and individual staff members contributing to the project, as needed.
- Work with Finance and other budget partners to oversee and manage the project budget and contracts.
- Develop donor reports and funding proposals; and collaborate with Development on an ongoing basis to ensure effective donor communication and stewardship.
- Maintain a broad subject area knowledge related to air quality, public health, and energy systems.
We seek an experienced and skilled project manager to lead the overall coordination of EDF’s work to improve air quality in London and beyond. The successful candidate must possess outstanding project management, strategic thinking, planning and communication skills. S/he must bring flexibility and creativity to the position and proven ability to work effectively with diverse partners and cross-cutting teams. A strong candidate should have the ability to effectively navigate complex scientific, policy and political issues to manage a multi-disciplinary team that delivers high quality results.
- A degree in environmental policy, science, law, related fields.
- Strong relevant experience, including at least eight years previous experience in a program management role.
- Solid strategic planning, financial management, and analytical skills.
- Proven ability to lead professionals in a collegial and team-centered manner.
- Dedication to building and managing relationships to build team cohesion and trust with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience; and to interact with a variety of constituencies with a high-level of diplomacy and discretion.
- Proven ability to make strategic and timely decisions and take prompt action to resolve problems and take advantage of opportunities.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with particular experience in communicating scientific content to several of audiences (e.g., policymakers, citizens, etc.).
- Professional background and content area knowledge in air quality and health issues.
- Knowledge of another EU language would be an advantage.
Interested applicants should attach their cover letter and resume to the application.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply