SENIOR INTERNATIONAL SCIENTIST
With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. This leading green group, with programs from Boston to Beijing, has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life.
EDF’s Oil & Gas Program has set an ambitious goal to achieve a 45% cut in global methane pollution by 2025, in an effort to cut the temperatures we will see over the next 20 years by the same amount as closing one third of the world’s coal fired power plants. EDF has launched the first phase of this global strategy in North America, catalyzing ground-breaking scientific studies to illuminate the scope of the problem and then helped secure significant methane reduction pledges from Canada, Mexico, and the US - at both the state and federal level. Now EDF is turning our attention to other regions of the world.
The Senior International Scientist will be a key contributor to EDF’s efforts to promote a series of international studies aimed at better understanding the magnitude of global oil and gas methane emissions and identifying mitigation opportunities, including a research partnership with global oil and gas industry operators. The Senior International Scientist will i) work to develop the scientific understandings required to mitigate methane emissions associated with global production and distribution of oil and gas. (ii) help EDF stay at the cutting-edge of how to measure and mitigate anthropogenic methane emissions.
- Provide scientific leadership and support in the design and execution of EDF’s emerging work on international methane emissions including, but not limited to, a series of studies to measure methane emissions from global oil and gas operations
- Coordinate and ensure rigor of scientific initiatives with a diverse group of stakeholders including industry, academics, and public sector
- Provide expert scientific guidance to EDF’s international oil and gas methane initiatives and program/executive-level decision-making processes
- Support development of novel sensing technologies with which to detect and quantify methane emissions from global oil and gas operations
- Remains at the cutting-edge of climate science and up-to-date with scientific literature
- Ensures scientific accuracy of EDF generated materials
- Conducts independent research and continues to publish regularly in peer-review literature
- Leads efforts to convene worldwide experts to facilitate discussions of science advancements and emerging issues related to methane emissions
- Attends external meetings and interacts with scientists and the scientific community at large
- Reports to the Chief Scientist
- Manages additional staff
- A PhD in physical sciences or engineering (e.g., chemistry, atmospheric science, chemical engineering) or related field and at least 5-10 years’ experience in academia or business with desire to transition to Policy-relevant research and science-based advocacy
- Senior-level contributor in area of specialization with full mastery of subject matter, able to lead and mentor others
- Breadth of intellectual capabilities aside from specific area of expertise and interest in broader context in which climate science is situated
- Demonstrated scientific expertise, including but not limited to a record of scholarly publications and/or involvement in scientific panels
- Proven ability to lead a comprehensive science-focused project
- Initiates and maintains extensive contacts within the scientific community
- Ability to synthesize, interpret, and communicate scientific data in an advocacy setting
- Ability to support fundraising initiatives
- Ability to serve as an expert for media inquiries
- Willingness to travel internationally
Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, EDF is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.