Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 850 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Job Title: Senior Human Resources Assistant
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Hours: Full Time flexible/remote working
The Senior Human Resources Assistant provides administrative and project support to the Human Resources Business Partner Team, covering administrative duties across all HR workstreams as part of the larger HR team within EDF. The Senior Human Resources Assistant is based in Brussels, Belgium supporting the European team and reports to the Director Human Resources, Europe with a dotted line to the Human Resources Business Partner Manager, Europe.
- Assisting with day to day operations of HR functions and duties.
- Together with the Senior Human Resources Business Partner, Europe, this role is responsible for the correct and timely payroll processing and personnel administration, acting as the main point of contact for payroll coordination:
- Support all payroll activities by coordinating actions, liaising with team and ensuring activities had been done
- Be in daily contact with employees, managers, HRBP’s and Finance for all payroll related questions
- Analysis and review of the monthly payroll data
- Handle the monthly payroll processing in compliance with local and external legislation and provide payroll instructions to our external payroll agency SD Worx
- Support the preparation, calculation and checking of reward data, (in cooperation with the social secretariat where relevant)
- Respond to employees’ inquiries regarding payroll and provide first line HR support
- Support the management of employee benefits within payroll
- Ensure the follow-up of the extra-legal benefits
- Support the Benefits team in the U.S. with administrative duties related to employee benefit plans in relation to payroll
- Answering employee questions and directing them to the appropriate member of HR
- Maintaining employee records in our HRIS system (Workday) by collaborating with the HRIS team to process employee changes accurately and in a timely fashion, supporting system queries from employees and running reports as requested
- Setting appointments and arranging meetings
- Compiling reports and spreadsheets
- Ensuring all HR related documentation i.e. Absence records are collated and filed accordingly
- Drafting ad-hoc Letters/Contracts and other documents as required using existing templates ensuring standardisation of HR process, templates and policies
- Coordinating, coding and submitting invoices and time sheets
- Supporting the onboarding process with delivery of inductions for new/returning staff, and the offboarding process with exit paperwork and scheduling
- Supporting the Talent Acquisition team with the administration of recruitment campaigns - including advertising and job posting, interview scheduling and offer letters
- Support the ongoing growth of key step change areas for the organisation including diversity, equality and inclusion, health and wellbeing and staff engagement including taking minutes as instructed
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values
- Additional relevant responsibilities and general administrative duties as assigned
- Assisting with HR projects as needed
Skills & Qualifications
- Equivalent CIPD Level 3 in People Management / Undergraduate studies in Human Resources Management or equivalent professional experience
- 2+ years of relevant administrative support experience; experience in a human resources department preferred.
- At least 2 years’ experience in payroll in an international environment
- Active participation in HRPRO.be the association of HR Professionals in Belgium
- Fluent language skills in French and English. Our business language is English with true fluency essential.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise discretion
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and oral)
- Superior time management skills; ability to multi-task, prioritize and meet deadlines
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational and proofreading skills
- Self-starter with high energy who flexible and pro active is
- Ability to work independently and as part of a diverse team
- Customer service focus
- Proficient with MS Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Familiarity with iCIMS, Workday and Oracle NetSuite is a plus
- Experience in a charity or not-for-profit environment is a plus
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds
You must have the right to live and work in the EU when applying
The position will be based in Brussels, Belgium with periodic travel to the Netherlands and Germany. We offer flexible working with hybrid working from home and the option of our shared office space in central Brussels.
Full Time, 38 hours per week
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 40,000 - 45,000 EUR which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply