With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
You are applying for a job with MethaneSAT LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of Environmental Defense Fund.
MethaneSAT, LLC, an affiliate of Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is launching a new, high performance, purpose-built satellite—MethaneSAT—to map and measure oil and gas methane emissions worldwide, with the potential to assess emissions from the full range of man-made sources. The satellite will enable us to gather methane emissions data on a global scale and with data from other sources, locate and quantify these emissions. Data from MethaneSAT will help EDF reduce methane emissions by 45% by 2025 and holds the potential to help reduce the temperature of our planet by as much 0.5 degrees C by the end of the century. This could be the most impactful environmental project yet conceived.
The Senior Front End Software Engineer will be the Technical Lead for MethaneSAT Data Platform Front End. They will be critical in the design, build and implementation of the Data Platform UIs, serving an array of audience with different needs, along with internal users working deeply with our dataset. The Senior Front End Software Engineer has final say over many key aspects of our front end vision and architecture. Working across several organizations, the Senior Front End Software Engineer will design and advocate for their ideas leveraging exceptional communication and presentation skills. They will then deliver on those ideas by writing software using best practices and leading our engineering team to do the same.
The Senior Front End Software Engineer will report directly to the Sr. Engineering Director, Data Products for MethaneSAT, LLC, and will work closely with other MethaneSAT, LLC staff, key contractors, and EDF staff.
This is a 3 year fixed term position.
- Collaborate effectively with varied stakeholders to determine the requirements for the Data Platform Frontend, including multiple UIs and support of several audience-specific initiatives.
- Navigate differing needs and priorities effectively and leverage experience to determine most effective design and recommendations.
- Create an overall, workable design, complete with recommended technology and resource needs and effectively and persuasively present design and recommendations.
- Set technical direction with the team regarding code quality, best practices, development workflow, test strategy and test coverage.
- Write software for critical, foundational aspects of the system yourself while delegating other systems to both senior and junior engineers on the team.
- Conduct code reviews, bug bashes and design reviews with the team. Research new technologies and work through system issues and bug queue.
- Additional related responsibilities as needed.
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience required; MS in Computer Science preferred.
- Must be eligible to work in the US without sponsorship, MethaneSAT, LLC is unable to offer employer-based sponsorship at this time
- At least 5 years professional software development experience with demonstrated progressive responsibility and scope.
- Demonstrated experience with Angular or React; must be willing to use/learn React and Typescript.
- Experience with handling many data points, managing multiple external services in a web client strongly preferred.
- Some management or technical leadership experience strongly preferred.
- Some backend development experience strongly preferred.
- Strong communication skills required; presentation skills and experience preferred.
- Ability to translate complex science and technical information to non-scientists stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to independently recommend and determine approaches to completing projects and managing processes where precedents are not available.
- Ability to apply communication skills to persuade, influence, and lead others.
- Strong ability to work independently on a multi-disciplinary team, using independent judgment required to plan, prioritize, and organize diversified workload.
- Affinity for a fast-paced work environment.
- Respect for economic and cultural diversity and ability or experience working with diverse groups of people.
- Demonstrated experience leading and collaborating with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience.
- A high degree of diplomacy to manage and influence key stakeholders, teams, and new, developing partnerships.
Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, MethaneSAT, LLC is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate.
MethaneSAT, LLC is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply