With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 630 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
Executive Assistant, Chief Development Officer and VP of Development
Environmental Defense Fund is currently seeking to hire a Senior Executive Assistant to support our Chief Development Officer and VP of Development, located in San Francisco and New York City. This position involves managing a challenging calendar and extensive travel schedule, handling confidential and sensitive information, and working with a diverse set of internal and external stakeholders with efficiency, tact, warmth, and grace. Independent judgment is required to plan, prioritize, and organize an intense workload and departmental communications and interactions.
- Represents the Chief Development Officer (CDO), VP of Development and Environmental Defense Fund with Trustees, donors, staff and high-level external contacts in a professional manner, exhibiting tact and diplomacy at all times.
- Provides full range of administrative support including managing calendars/schedules, responding to internal and external meeting requests, and ensuring adequate preparation for each meeting including agendas and briefing materials.
- Plans extensive domestic and international travel itineraries, typically consisting of three to four trips per month.
- Manages the Development Leadership Team meeting process, agendas and communications. Manages Development Department overall meetings with Chief Development Officer.
- Working with members of the President’s office, ensures smooth flow of communications and information between PO and Development.
- Working with members of the President’s office, sets up meetings with Trustees and high net worth individuals. Ensures smooth logistics for all meetings and contacts.
- Opens office mail and logs, distributes, or drafts replies as needed.
- Monitors CDO’s mail and email. Flags items requiring follow up, drafts correspondence as needed, distributes to other staff members as appropriate, and monitors follow up.
- Screens, responds to and/or routes calls and incoming emails/correspondence to the appropriate party and follows up to ensure required action is taken.
- Prepares contracts and other documents prior to signature by the CDO and VP to ensure accuracy and appropriate terms.
- Prepares letters, memos, reports, presentations and other written materials, often with limited review of the final product by the CDO and VP.
- Handles confidential and non-routine questions. Handles confidential and non-routine information.
- Manages small projects assigned by the Vice President, Development and others by establishing objectives, determining priorities, garnering/allocating resources, problem solving and seeing efforts through to completion.
- All other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- At least 6 years’ experience providing support to C-level executives in a corporate environment. You will be a highly polished, well-presented team player who is able to carry out a multitude of duties.
- The role requires adaptability, exceptional communication and team skills, and unflappable organizational ability. We need someone who can think quickly to resolve problems with exceptional customer service skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency with standard business and conferencing applications, such as MS Office Suite, Apple products and related software to schedule conference calls and facilities.
- Experience coordinating and managing projects of varied scale, supporting project timelines and objectives;
- Excellent communication, writing, judgment, and problem-solving skills, capable of making connections between project details and the bigger picture.
- Ability to prioritize workload and respond to rapidly changing priorities.
- Must be an enthusiastic, positive team player who is willing to help out, works well with colleagues and thinks/acts like an owner.
- Professional demeanor and demonstrated mature level of judgment, including the ability to be tactful and diplomatic in difficult situations.
- Strong attention to detail as well as solid organization/time management skills.
- Flexibility and willingness/ability to adjust schedule for Pacific and Eastern time-zones.
- Ability to work extended hours as required.
- Must be highly discreet and be comfortable handling highly confidential and sensitive information.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Interest in environmental advocacy is preferred.
- Intellectual curiosity in the EDF mission, our programs and development
- 10% or less of travel is expected for this position.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply