Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 850 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
This job can be based remotely anywhere in the world or in any EDF Office. https://www.edf.org/our-offices
The Senior Economist is an experienced economist and researcher. This position is created to contribute to the expansion of EDF’s capacity in designing, conducting, and disseminating rigorous economic policy analysis as well as in the evaluation of economic studies in environmental, climate (adaptation or mitigation), and/or energy topics. Economic studies are crucially important in climate, energy, and environmental debates and decision making, and as powerful tools in environmental and climate policy advocacy.
The main objectives of the Senior Economist are to:
- Assist EDF’s Economics leaders in the development of EDF strategies ensuring that they benefit from rigorous economic thinking.
- Provide high quality economic analysis to support EDF strategies either directly or through supporting use of external consultants or researchers.
- Assist in providing peer review for use of economics within EDF or by EDF’s partners to ensure high quality of work and appropriate interpretation.
- Support EDF’s partners in building their own analytic capacities in environmental, climate (adaptation or mitigation), and/or energy topics by participating in and leading collaborative projects, and by organizing and providing training.
- Organize and facilitate discussions of energy, environmental, and climate economic techniques, practices, and insights for internal and external users of economics research and among experts.
The Senior Economist should thoroughly understand both the mainstream and cutting-edge world class economic techniques applied to climate change and energy issues and be able to communicate the results of these analyses to other EDF staff and stakeholders.
The Senior Economist is responsible for all technical aspects of a particular project. They will consult with end users of research to define problems and identify potential approaches including available data if relevant. The priorities and scope of research projects will be determined in consultation with the team leader. They will contribute to the communication of research methods and results at internal and external conferences and seminars and in publishable manuscripts to enhance EDF’s reputation as an organization with strong analytical capacity in economics is expected. This team member will maintain a high level of personal expertise in research and an excellent reputation in their area of specialization. They will be responsible for:
- With other staff Economists, lead and produce economic analysis and research in environmental, climate (adaptation or mitigation), and/or energy topics.
- Facilitate, take part in, or lead collaborative work with EDF’s partners in the areas of economic research and education in environmental, climate (adaptation or mitigation), and/or energy topics.
- Organize and facilitate economics-focused discussions with industry experts, policy makers, and other researchers and scientists.
- Initiate and maintain connections between EDF and the international academic and research community, public, and other organizations in the field of economic analysis of energy, environment, and climate change issues.
- Contribute to economics capacity building at EDF by allocating a portion of time to staying updated with networks, sharing work externally, participating in conferences, and developing new ideas for potential EDF economics areas of work.
- Supervise and mentor less senior EDF staff.
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Ph.D. in Economics or related discipline (e.g., Environmental, Agricultural and Resource Economics or Public Policy), and 4 or more years of experience in policy and/or research preferred.
- Thorough understanding of mainstream economic techniques in environmental, climate (adaptation or mitigation), and/or energy topics as well as core econometric concepts and methods as demonstrated by advanced degrees and professional publications.
- The ability to relate economic analysis to public policy and organizational strategy.
- Skill in translating complicated research and analytical concepts for non-technical audiences and translating results into practical solutions.
- Proven ability to conduct cutting-edge research.
- Ability to deploy a diversity of analytical approaches, from theoretical, and/or econometric studies to back-of-the-envelope analyses.
- Self-direction and independence of mind.
- Interest in relating economic research to real-world policy and in bridging the worlds of advocacy and academia.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. The ability to learn quickly and think critically.
- Flexibility to work both independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced, dynamic, and entrepreneurial environment.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
Please include a Cover Letter with your submission.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 117,000 - 128,000 USD which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply