Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 1,000 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Our culture, values and commitment to diversity make EDF an exciting and meaningful place to work. Every job here makes a difference. Won’t you join us?
SENIOR DIRECTOR, DEVELOPMENT
This is a hybrid role that can be based out of EDF’s New York or San Francisco office
The Senior Director of Donor Engagement develops and oversees the execution of a comprehensive strategy to engage current and prospective major donors through events, travel and volunteer opportunities. They will report to the Vice President for Development, oversee a team of 10 event and travel professionals, and directly supervise the Director of Events and Engagement, Senior Manager of Donor Engagement, Manager of Donor Trips, Senior Specialist for Trips, and Donor Engagement Coordinator. The senior director will work closely with the Development Leadership Team, major and principal gift officers, Development research staff, the Director of Trustee and Board Relations, and program staff to create and implement strategies for donor engagement. They will oversee the management of new volunteer groups and play a significant role in building the major gifts pipeline for the organization.
- Manages a team of 10 event and travel professionals
- Develops strategy for and oversees the execution of a comprehensive events and travel program
- Contributes to the organizational strategy to build the major gifts pipeline
- Proactively seeks input from and collaborates with principal and major gift officers
- Communicates donor engagement strategy and progress within EDF
- Contributes to digital engagement strategy for prospective donors
- Sets clear metrics for program success, measures progress, and makes strategy changes
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values
- Bachelor degree required. Advanced degree preferred.
- 12+ years of combined experience in fundraising and related fields
- 10+ years of managerial experience
- Demonstrated understanding of current trends in fundraising
- Experience managing high level donor events
- Experience designing and executing high level donor international travel experiences
- Extensive experience working with Principal and Major Gift Officers
- Experience interacting with and managing high level volunteers
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex issues in a clear and compelling manner
- Must have strong writing skills
- Experience managing complex 6-figure budgets
- Strategic ability and big-picture problem-solving capacity
- Familiarity with environmental issues
- Flexibility and sense of humor
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 160,000 - 180,000 USD which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply