With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 630 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
This position can be based in New York or San Francisco.
The Senior Director of Donor Engagement develops and oversees the execution of a comprehensive strategy to engage current and prospective major donors through events, travel and volunteer opportunities. They will report to the Vice President for Development and Campaign, oversee a team of nine event and travel professionals, and directly supervise the Director of Events Management, Manager of Donor Engagement and Donor Engagement Coordinator. The senior director will work closely with the Development Leadership Team, Major and Principal Gift Officers, Development research staff, the Director of Trustee and Board Relations, and program staff to create and implement strategies for donor engagement. They will oversee the management of new volunteer groups and play a significant role in building the major gifts pipeline for the organization, including working with colleagues in Marketing to engage prospective donors through social media and other digital channels.
- Manages a team of nine event and travel professionals
- Directly supervises the Director of Events Management, Manager of Donor Engagement and Donor Engagement Coordinator
- Develops strategy for and oversees the execution of a comprehensive events and travel program
- Oversees the management of new volunteer groups
- Contributes to the organizational strategy to build the major gifts pipeline
- Proactively seeks input from and collaborates with principal and major gift officers
- Communicates donor engagement strategy and progress within EDF
- Contributes to digital engagement strategy for prospective donors
- Sets clear metrics for program success, measures progress, and makes strategy changes
- Bachelor degree required. Advanced degree preferred.
- 12+ years of combined experience in fundraising and related fields
- Managerial experience
- Demonstrated understanding of current trends in fundraising
- Experience managing high level donor events and international travel
- Extensive experience working with Principal and Major Gift Officers
- Experience interacting with and managing high level volunteers
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex issues in a clear and compelling manner
- Experience managing complex 6-figure budgets
- Strategic ability and big-picture problem-solving capacity
- Familiarity with environmental issues
- Flexibility and sense of humor
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply