With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 630 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF’s Development department is growing and we are seeking an experienced donor communications professional to serve as Senior Director of Development Communications, leading an accomplished team of 10 Development communications professionals.
The Senior Director of Development Communications reports to the Vice President for Development and Campaign and works closely with Development leadership to create and implement a comprehensive strategy for all communications to current and prospective donors of at least $100,000. The Senior Director will oversee a team of 10 experienced Development Communications professionals. The Development Communications team is responsible for producing general and highly customized engagement, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship communications for individuals and institutions who are making, or have the capacity to make, gifts of at least $100,000.
The Senior Director will set the overall direction and expectations for the team and ensure that the team is structured and deployed in a manner that best supports the organization’s greatest needs. The Senior Director will work closely with program leadership and major, principal, and institutional gift officers to ensure that their donor communications needs are being met. In addition, they will be the primary liaison to the Marketing and Communications department to ensure effective collaboration between Development and Marketing and Communications.
- Oversees a team of 10 Development Communications professionals
- Develops and implements a comprehensive strategy for all communications to current and prospective donors of at least $100,000
- Sets strategic direction and expectations for the Development communications team
- Serves as the Development lead for all major organizational communications, including the Annual Report
- Proactively seeks input from and collaborates with institutional, major and principal gift officers
- Serves as the primary Development liaison to the Marketing and Communications department
- Incorporates more visual and digital communications tools into donor communications
- Sets clear metrics for program success, measures progress, and makes strategy changes
- Bachelor degree required. Advanced degree preferred.
- 10+ years of combined experience in individual and institutional fundraising, communications and related fields
- Managerial experience
- Demonstrated understanding of current trends in fundraising and communications
- Extensive experience working with Principal and Major Gift Officers
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex issues in a clear and compelling manner
- Strategic ability and big-picture problem-solving capacity
- Experience in environmental communications
- Flexibility and sense of humor
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply