With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share the Core Values that allow us to experiment courageously in our work while staying true to who we’ve been as an organization for 50 years. Are you a results oriented individual who is passionate about creating environmental solutions that make a lasting difference in the world? Do you respect diverse perspectives, talents and contributions? Do you value innovation and enjoy designing and using a wide range of problem-solving tools? Do you embrace environmental goals with a sense of optimism while taking into account real-world dynamics? If you have integrity and a strong desire to uphold a commitment to science, rigorous analysis, intellectual honesty and ethical action, then EDF is the place for you.
EDF is looking for a Senior Designer to join our Content Team in its New York City headquarters to elevate the organization’s quarterly newsletter magazine Solutions to world-class level. Responsible for executing design/production of Solutions soup to nuts, delivering a product that maintains high quality of visual creativity that inspires our audience and aligns with our brand. Candidates must have excellent eye for detail while maintaining big-picture vision as they shape each new issue as a thematic whole, through all stages of development. This position reports to the Senior Art Director (but works closely with Solutions Editor-In-Chief and Managing Editor) and is expected to provide additional design support on other projects.
If you are a highly creative designer with a great portfolio of editorial work—along with a strong interest in conveying ideas, visual storytelling, and inspiring action—this position is for you.
- Manage all facets of design work for Solutions magazine (i.e. layout, art direction, production, creation of infographic and illustrations, image selection, etc.) from concepts to print-ready, including managing work by outside creative vendors when needed.
- Partner with internal team (writers/editors, photo coordinator, senior art director, project managers, etc.) to turn story ideas into visually arresting pieces, where words and visuals work together to elevate the whole. Suggest new visual ways of presenting complex stories.
- Brainstorm, contribute, and synthesize visual concepts and feedback in the story-development phase.
- Ideate and execute concept layouts/designs for iteration, ensuring final product is on deadline, on-brand, appeals to target audience, and compellingly serves the story.
- Lead and manage concepting and development process for covers.
- Collaborate with photo coordinator in assembling imagery that make the stories come to life; conduct photo research as needed.
- Develop new visual story formats, and plan for adapting content to social/online platforms.
Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in Graphic Design, preferably with an agency or studio; magazine or newspaper design experience a big plus.
- Expert in Adobe CC (Indesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Bridge, Acrobat, etc.).
- Expert in both print and online design (. i.e.: brand collateral, advertising, data visualization, infographic, share graphics, banner ads, etc.).
Candidates must also have:
- Impeccable sense of typography and design/layout with a disciplined eye for clean/clear aesthetics and for visually organizing information and graphic treatments.
- Strong conceptual and analytical creative problem-solving skills, including ability to translate written stories/articles and complex information/data into clear, bold, visually engaging pages and graphics.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Must be able to work both independently and collaboratively within the team and across departments; can take feedback fluidly and articulate design thinking/decisions (i.e.: synthesize collective input, analyze own work and that of others).
- Experience with print production: retouching, color correction, prepress, proofing, review/approvals, etc., and liaise with print vendors on logistics and production schedules.
- Must have efficient workflow processes with superior time management, prioritization and organizational skills. Must be able to iterate under tight timelines, work on multiple projects concurrently and be willing to take on last-minute needs in stride.
- Passion for brand integrity, branded content, and tight/clean design.
- Versatility across content and audience types preferred.
- Working knowledge of environmental issues welcome.
- Portfolio of strong design and conceptual work will be a key deciding factor, as will be a position-specific exercise for final candidates.
With your resume, please include a link to or pdf of your portfolio, containing examples of editorial/magazine design work.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply