With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share the Core Values that allow us to experiment courageously in our work while staying true to who we’ve been as an organization for 50 years. Are you a results oriented individual who is passionate about creating environmental solutions that make a lasting difference in the world? Do you respect diverse perspectives, talents and contributions? Do you value innovation and enjoy designing and using a wide range of problem-solving tools? Do you embrace environmental goals with a sense of optimism while taking into account real-world dynamics? If you have integrity and a strong desire to uphold a commitment to science, rigorous analysis, intellectual honesty and ethical action, then EDF is the place for you.
The EDF Action Senior Data Analyst uses database-query, relationship-management applications, and business-intelligence tools to maintain EDF Action member and supporter data and help EDF Action effectively mobilize its members for political action in advocacy and electoral campaigns.
EDF Action is the advocacy partner of the Environmental Defense Fund. Working with key stakeholders and EDF Action members nationwide, we seek to advance critical environmental protections in the U.S. and all 50 states by actively engaging in legislative campaigns and elections, building political power, and mobilizing a strong and lasting pro-environment majority.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Membership CRM, Analysis & Reporting, the Senior Data Analyst for EDF Action uses database-query, relationship-management applications, and business-intelligence software to help EDF Action effectively mobilize its members for political action. This position requires attention to detail, can-do attitude, perseverance, and desire to learn-and-work with advanced tools for segmentation, list pulls, data mining, and business-intelligence projects. The ideal candidate will have experience using a database-query application in an issue or electoral campaign and has worked with people with varying levels of technical background. This position also requires the willingness to learn and understand the nonprofit organizing sector and direct marketing techniques.
- Assist in designing innovative voter outreach and volunteer engagement campaigns, then create campaign contact lists.
- Develop and produce regular reports of membership counts, as well as phone, mail, and email lists, and create tracking records of outreach and engagement using EDF’s data and campaign management tools.
- Create reports providing strategic insight for the EDF Action team about our volunteer base and voter contacts.
- Analyze demographic and socioeconomic trends in membership, volunteer, and voter data and recommend measures to expand stakeholder diversity.
- Work with our cross channel staff, IT, and consultants to increase the efficiency and use of the application in addressing big-data opportunities, including potential greater use and integration of voter data through VAN.
- Translate business requirements into data requirements and document processes.
- Use query tools, Salesforce reports, and Excel to conduct research into data-hygiene issues and provide requested information, reports, and explanations.
- Learn about non-profit advocacy and fundraising techniques and gain familiarity with EDF testing practices and results.
- Bachelor’s degree with at least four years of experience working with CRM applications, or advanced degree plus at least two years of experience working with CRM applications.
- Proficiency in campaign data management software including NGP/VAN, Catalist, TargetSmart or similar systems is preferred.
- Proven logical and organizational skills related to programming or coding. SQL experience preferred.
- Ability to address challenges with data applications by asking questions, consulting manuals, and researching online resources.
- Ability to clearly and completely express professional and/or technical information in memos, reports, and other written material.
- Proven adeptness in oral and written communication within and across organizational departments.
- Experience with negotiating expectations with stakeholders to maintain a reasonable workload.
- Ability to address inquiries thoroughly up to moderate levels of complexity and novelty.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, meet deadlines, and work independently when projects are due.
- Interest and/or experience in political/campaign work is preferred.
- Experience using BlueVenn, IBM Campaign (Unica), Luminate Online (Convio), Salesforce, IBM Cognos, Looker, or Tableau a plus.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply