With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
Environmental Defense Fund Europe is an affiliate of Environmental Defense Fund, a leading international non-profit organisation that creates transformative solutions to the most serious environmental problems. With programs from Boston to Beijing, Environmental Defense Fund has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, economics, market-based approaches, and innovative private-sector partnerships.
Environmental Defense Fund Europe is three years old, led by Executive Director Baroness Worthington. We bring a fresh new voice to Europe, led by science and data, working across the political spectrum and focusing on pragmatic solutions. Our strategic plan, Forging Solutions in Europe, sets out our current goals and priorities. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share the Core Values that allow us to experiment courageously in our work while staying true to who we’ve been as an organization for 50 years. Are you a results oriented individual who is passionate about creating environmental solutions that make a lasting difference in the world? Do you respect diverse perspectives, talents and contributions? Do you value innovation and enjoy designing and using a wide range of problem-solving tools? Do you embrace environmental goals with a sense of optimism while taking into account real-world dynamics? If you have integrity and a strong desire to uphold a commitment to science, rigorous analysis, intellectual honesty and ethical action, then EDF is the place for you.
The primary cause of two huge challenges, climate change and air pollution in cities, are the same - the combustion of fuels for energy. Since autumn 2018, a new project - Breathe London - has been underway gathering data about London’s air quality from a network of fixed and mobile sensors. The aim of the project is to explore in much finer-grained detail, the timing, the locations and sources of harmful pollution, to help inform the implementation and development of policy solutions. The first non-governmental, large-scale data gathering exercise to measure London’s air, including before and after the introduction of an Ultra-Low Emission Zone, Breathe London will seed similar projects in other cities around the world.
Our interdisciplinary Breathe London project team, bringing together the academic and NGO sectors, is working to deploy low cost and medium cost sensors to measure ‘hyperlocal’ air quality and use the data gathered to inform meaningful further actions to address the twin problems of air pollution and climate change. We are looking for a talented Senior Data Analyst to join the team at this exciting time when these problems are the focus of public policy and action.
- Develop and apply systematic approaches to characterise temporal and spatial patterns in air quality data.
- Query air quality data sets generated by the Breathe London project and other sources for scientifically defensible trends and stories.
- Develop and run existing data analysis and statistical algorithms on a variety of air quality data sets.
- Work with project partners to clean air quality data sets from mobile deployments of various grades of instrumentation and stationary deployments of low cost sensors.
- Set up scheduling of certain data processes for regularly timed execution in the cloud.
- Visualise data in a variety of user-friendly, compelling formats, including by creating static and interactive maps of results from geospatial analyses.
- Evaluate attributes of external data sources (eg traffic activity datasets) and conduct integrative analyses with air quality datasets.
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 4 years of experience in a quantitative field (e.g., mathematics, statistics, engineering, physics, computer science), or Master’s degree in an environmentally relevant science field; background in atmospheric, environmental and/or health sciences a plus
- Demonstrated ability to conduct independent scientific data analyses and interpret scientific results
- A passion for interpreting data to tell compelling stories
- Strong spatial analysis and mapping skills using e.g. ArcGIS, QGIS, or GRASS GIS
- Experience in data visualization programming (e.g. Tableau, Plotly, Leaflet) preferred
- Experience in one or more of the following:
Statistical software (e.g. R, etc.)
SQL databases (e.g. PostgreSQL, Google BigQuery, Microsoft SQL Server or Access), and advanced SQL scripting capability
Comfort and familiarity with accessing and manipulating geospatial data sets using Python scripting (e.g., arcpy or open source equivalent)
- Strong interpersonal and written communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail and record keeping abilities
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply