With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share the Core Values that allow us to experiment courageously in our work while staying true to who we’ve been as an organization for 50 years. Are you a results oriented individual who is passionate about creating environmental solutions that make a lasting difference in the world? Do you respect diverse perspectives, talents and contributions? Do you value innovation and enjoy designing and using a wide range of problem-solving tools? Do you embrace environmental goals with a sense of optimism while taking into account real-world dynamics? If you have integrity and a strong desire to uphold a commitment to science, rigorous analysis, intellectual honesty and ethical action, then EDF is the place for you.
- Execute policy-related communications strategies and draft policy-oriented blogs, op-eds, and other materials.
- Write press releases; produce talking points; produce and promote social media.
- Build and maintaining positive working relationships with targeted online, print and broadcast journalists, editorial writers and columnists; with particular emphasis on both policy-oriented outlets and state based general media.
- Researching and pitching EDF experts for thought-leading environment and energy-related speaking events across the country.
- Garnering, tracking and marketing earned media exposure in key media outlets
- Help to maintain electronic files, including media lists, press clips, collateral, etc.
- Execute offline and online strategic communications plans for campaign and program activities and for targeted branding efforts in key states.
- Respond to breaking news and legislative events.
- Execute long-term strategic communications planning, and drive forward the implementation of advocacy-oriented communications plans.
- Manage vendors and collaborate with coalition partners.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor degree, with a minimum of 4 years of relevant experience developing, managing, and executing communications strategies preferably in the advocacy context.
- Excellent writing, proofing and editing skills.
- Background or strong knowledge of climate and energy policy.
- Proficiency with social media tools and outlets.
- Practical, real-world experience in environmental media and communications or climate/energy policy.
- Experience working on local and/or statewide press outreach a plus.
- Basic graphic and web design and video editing experience a plus.
- Experience managing contractors (i.e. Web and graphic designers, communications consultants, etc.).
- Ability to adapt to frequent change and prioritize multiple tasks effectively under deadline pressure.
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational skills.
- Interest in environment advocacy.
- Familiarity with cutting-edge communication technologies preferred (e.g. Vocus, etc.).
- 25% or less of travel is expected for this position.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply