With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share the Core Values that allow us to experiment courageously in our work while staying true to who we’ve been as an organization for 50 years. Are you a results oriented individual who is passionate about creating environmental solutions that make a lasting difference in the world? Do you respect diverse perspectives, talents and contributions? Do you value innovation and enjoy designing and using a wide range of problem-solving tools? Do you embrace environmental goals with a sense of optimism while taking into account real-world dynamics? If you have integrity and a strong desire to uphold a commitment to science, rigorous analysis, intellectual honesty and ethical action, then EDF is the place for you.
The Senior Communications Specialist, Mexico Oceans will be responsible for supporting strategic communications campaigns, earned media outreach initiatives, content creation and marketing campaigns that persuasively connect with our target audiences in Mexico and Latin America. S/he will assist with basic graphic and web design, video editing, technical and persuasive writing in support of advancing the work of EDF Oceans in Mexico. Additionally, the Senior Communications Specialist will coordinate with other members of the Oceans Communications team to provide support with tracking project outputs and workflows.
The Senior Communications Specialist will report to the Senior Director for Communications, EDF Oceans and coordinate closely on a day-to-day basis with Oceans Program staff.
- Execute communications strategies and outreach materials including blogs, social media, press releases, major thought leadership events, videos, infographics and other content
- Assist in designing and implementing outreach and communication initiatives to support the implementation of the EDF Oceans strategy in Mexico
- Develop regular social media postings and oversee management of all EDF Mexico social media properties
- Serve as a liaison between the Mexico team and other members of the Oceans Communications team, helping to identify strategic opportunities for communications support
- Coordinate with members of the Oceans and Communications teams on social media promotion and outreach
- Oversee translation of documents and products in both English and Spanish
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with targeted online, print and broadcast journalists, editorial writers and columnists, as well as with other opinion leaders
- Generate, track and market earned media exposure in key media outlets
- Research and pitch EDF experts for thought leadership events and promote speeches, conferences, white papers and other outputs developed by key Oceans team members that are relevant in Mexico and Latin America
- Support project management of a variety of communications materials and outputs in a face-paced environment, often executing on tight deadlines
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, public relations, communications or marketing with a minimum of four years' experience; or advanced degree with at least two years' experience
- Fluency in Spanish and English
- Proficiency with social media tools and outlets
- Superior creative and opportunistic media outreach abilities
- Excellent writing, proofing and editing skills in both English and Spanish
- Experience managing contractors (i.e. Web and graphic designers, communications consultants, etc.)
- Excellent telephone, oral communication and presentation skills
- Proficiency in Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Experience using a variety of marketing and media tools including Cision, Google Analytics, and media monitoring software
- Meticulous attention to detail and outstanding organizational skills, including ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines
- Experience working in multi-cultural environments, in developing countries, and with addressing multiple stakeholders, particularly Mexico
- Legally eligible for Mexican employment and able to travel internationally
- Practical, real-world experience in environmental media and communications, a plus
- Experience working with Mexican government and non-profits, a plus
- Background in marine science, fisheries or conservation, and strong knowledge of regional fisheries issues in Mexico, a plus
- Basic graphic and web design and video editing experience, a plus
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply