With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
Senior Communications Specialist, Coastal Resilience
EDF’s Ecosystems Program works with diverse partners to build resilient land and water systems that allow people and nature to prosper in a changing climate. The program is composed of three key work streams that are becoming increasingly intertwined: agricultural sustainability, water security and coastal resilience.
EDF is seeking a Senior Communications Specialist to support strategic communications campaigns for its growing initiative to build coastal resilience in the U.S. This role will have direct involvement through EDF in Restore the Mississippi River Delta, a coalition of NGOs working to advance coastal restoration and resilience in Louisiana. Additionally, this position will help support EDF’s coastal work across relevant geographies including North Carolina, Virginia, New York, New Jersey, Florida and beyond.
The Senior Communications Specialist will execute on a variety of communications campaigns and implement communications strategies across earned media, content development, social and digital promotion, events and more to persuasively connect with target audiences and advance EDF’s coastal resilience goals. The position reports to the Communications Manager, Coastal Resilience.
- Implement communications strategies in support of EDF’s priority coastal campaigns.
- Manage day-to-day communications responsibilities for EDF’s involvement in Restore the Mississippi River Delta, in collaboration with partner organizations.
- Create a wide range of communications materials for print and online, leveraging graphic design expertise where necessary.
- Execute earned media strategies by monitoring media coverage, maintaining media lists, developing creative story pitches, cultivating and maintaining reporter relationships, and distributing press materials to relevant media contacts.
- Coordinate, execute, and document media events and tours, conferences, and other on-the-ground opportunities.
- Develop content in support of communications campaigns including blogs, fact sheets, social media graphics and posts, and more.
- Draft opinion pieces, press releases, taking points, etc. with nuanced message under tight time constraints.
- Promote content strategically across digital and social platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.
- Keep pulse on emerging technologies and platforms and help identify innovative strategies for reaching target audiences.
- Research and pitch EDF experts for conferences and speaking opportunities.
- Maintain relevant databases, including media lists, press clips, internal documents and messaging, etc.
- Support senior communications and program staff as needed in achieving strategic team and coalition goals.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience working in environmental advocacy, public relations, journalism or other communications or marketing-related field, with a demonstrated record of success.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, communications,marketing, business, or other related degree. Advanced degree may substitute for two years of experience.
- Exceptional writing and copy-editing skills. Must write quickly and well under pressure and communicate complex and technical information clearly to many audiences.
- Knowledge of media landscape and ability to identify compelling stories and deliver targeted, engaging pitches to relevant journalists.
- Ability to design a wide variety of materials for print and digital distribution; photography, audio and video recording and editing capabilities a plus.
- Demonstrated success leveraging a wide variety of social media platforms and deploying innovative tactics to engage and reach supporters.
- Proactive, self-starter able to get things accomplished with minimal direct supervision.
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational skills. Experience in project management and coordination required.
- Strong proficiency in a wide range of digital platforms and programs, including Microsoft Office, Adobe InDesign and Photoshop, Canva, WordPress, Google Analytics, CisionPoint, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, and more.
- Experience in the nonprofit sector, with conservation issues, and/or knowledge of Louisiana and its people, geography, history, and environment is preferred.
- Must be willing to travel locally and domestically, as well as commit to some evening and weekend work as needed.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply